CHAPTER 2 - Hope

Gabrielle walked sadly through the royal gardens. They had once seemed so joyous and full of life, yet now they seemed to have dimmed in color and happiness. Just like her.

Even after months after the king's passing, she was far from alright. Cedric tried to cheer her up every day, talking to her and even attempting to read to her the books she had once loved so dearly, despite his horrible reading skills, he still tried. So then why couldn't she? Why couldn't she just try to find joy again?

"Gabrielle!" one of the palace maids called out.

The sound and surroundings reminded the princess of her first meeting with Cedric, but unlike every other time, the memory didn't bring a smile to her face. Her expression remained void and cold, just like every other day. She had stopped seeing beauty in her life.

"Yes?" she answered, glancing towards the old woman.

"Her Royal Majesty The Queen has requested your presence immediately," she informed the princess.

For the first time in a while, a flask of emotion washed on Gabrielle's face. Shock, hatred, fear. But the feelings washed away from her expression as quickly as they had come, leaving her empty once more.

"Very well. I shall go to her at once." she nodded towards the maid and took off towards the palace doors.

***

The Queen was standing next to one of the huge windows of the throne room, staring towards the dark forest. The sound of Gabrielle's footsteps caused her to look towards the doors, taking in the sight of her stepdaughter.

The princess had middle-length wavy raven hair that reached just below her collarbone and brought out her pale complexion. Her onyx eyes seemed to sparkle in the light despite their darkness and her small rosy lips formed a constant pout.

The queen could no longer deny her stepdaughter's beauty. She had grown into a breathtaking woman, with soft curves and an undeniable charm, evident for all those who saw her. She was now a threat not only to her throne but to her previously unmatched beauty too.

"You asked for me, Your Majesty?" her soft voice broke the tense silence between the two.

"Indeed." The queen nodded, her appearance as seemingly perfect as always. "I needed to speak to you."

Gabrielle nodded wordlessly, waiting for the tall woman to continue.

"As you may know, since the King's death, the people have become restless." the queen began, causing the princess to cringe at the cold way she had mentioned her late father. "They worry about their future and for the kingdom's fate. They are skeptical of my ability to rule as a lone queen. I would consider finding a suitor for you and crowning him king after you are wed, but at seventeen you are still too young in the eyes of the law."

Gabrielle's eyes narrowed at the mention of being married off. She had always hated the concept of having no choice in her future husband, much less having a man practically own her like she was some kind of prize to be collected and set on a shelf for decoration.

"A princess' duty is to lift the spirits of the people and bring hope and happiness in their hearts. Your moping around all day does not help in the slightest. You need to get over your grief and think of the bigger picture, Gabrielle. You haven't been through the kingdom in months, the people need you."

"No, what they need is a good leader, not a sorry excuse of a queen! Visiting towns will do no good when the entire kingdom is crumbling under your rule." Gabrielle said, a little of her fire and passion from before finally making an appearance. "All you do is sit on your throne and expect things to go your way. The people are starving and you are worried about suitors!"

The queen's eyes widened in rage. Gabrielle barely spoke up, yet when she did, she managed to infuriate her like no other.

"It is winter, of course they'll have problems finding food, it is the way of nature."

"Not when we have a palace full of luxuries! When was the last time you suffered from hunger or cold? When was the last time you struggled to survive? My guess is never! So why don't we help our own people? Why do you insist on holding on to our riches when our kingdom is dying?"

"You are stepping out of line, Gabrielle! Those riches have been won by the late king! They belong to the royal family. They belong to me!" the queen raised her voice slightly, her eyes flashing warningly as she approached the princess.

"They belong to the kingdom! To the people! We need to help them!"

"That is ENOUGH!" the imposing woman finally snapped, raising her hand and slapping the girl.

The impact resonated in the quiet room and Gabrielle's eyes widened. The queen had never physically hurt her before. Her own palm cradled her burning cheek as tears welled up in her eyes.

"You don't understand life like I do, you insolent child. Everything I do is for the well-being of this kingdom and the people under my care. Tomorrow you will go with the general to every town and bring hope back to them and that is final. I have no business with you anymore, you are dismissed. Go to your room."

Gabrielle swallowed the heated anger inside of her.

"Hope has no meaning if there are no more people to have it," she whispered as she left the room, but loud enough for the queen to hear.

The woman scoffed at the girl's words. She knew not of what she was speaking of and the queen had had enough. When the king had been alive, she hadn't been able to do anything in regards to the princess, yet now that he was gone, she was the lone decider of Gabrielle's fate.

Her lips quirked up, forming a small smirk. A plan had already started forming in her head.

And she had decided. The princess had to go.