4.24

"A Is For Answers"

Click.

Click.

Click.

The seconds ticked by torturously slow, noted by the tedious clacking of the newton's cradle upon the glass coffee table. It was a quarter past one by time they were all trapped inside of an unknown, strange apartment; Aria eyed the clock like a hawk, studying each sway of the red hand. The rush of a busy city was shut out by the row of slender windows, blackened mostly by night but with distant yellow dots for the people who couldn't sleep tonight.

Halle knew she wouldn't be.

She, among her friends, sat on a sofa that wasn't theirs — or assumingly anybody's they knew. For the most part, it was entirely quiet if it wasn't for the clacking.

Click.

Click.

Click.

"Spencer!" scolded Halle. She was tired — more irritable due to her pills wearing thin. She felt spiteful, slowly, then all at once. Halle couldn't detect whether it was her mood gradually plummeting as time waned or if it was the trepidation running through the veins at seeing Alison again. Both made her uneasy, and so it rubbed Halle wrongly.

"What?" Spencer asked, fingers loitering by the end ball of the newton's cradle.

Halle focused a glare to the same metal item. At the fierce look, Spencer sighed and ceased the grating, repetitive noise. When it stopped, the group of five were able to hear a phone ring.

Noel Kahn had been lingering by one of the windows, behind the sofa, over their shoulders. He had been monitoring the comings and goings of the street below. It was his phone that was ringing — a clearly identifiable, disposable one; made strictly to make and take calls then send and receive texts. Unaware of the attention the phone had drawn to him, Noel answered it.

"Yeah," he said. A silence followed. The call ended just as quick as it started, and Noel immediately faced the five girls on the sofa after it was done. "Stay here," Noel instructed of them. His blue eyes landed on Halle, fixed on the obvious hurt she had expressed when he was the person she saw at a moment she least expected it. "I'll be right back," he told them, then left them alone in the unfamiliar but comfortable apartment.

Once he was gone for certain, Aria settled forward and leant into the first private conversation she and her friends were able to have since Philadelphia. "I cannot believe we let Noel bring us here."

At that, Spencer slumped back against the large cushions.

"I can't believe he knew Alison was alive this whole time," uttered Halle, wondering if she was allowed to feel betrayed by him being helpful.