The Unwanted Maiden

The Re-written version of the story I wrote last year.

Hope you enjoy! :)

___________________________

Prologue:

*August 12th, 1831*

  Mercy struggled in her father’s arms, trying with great effort to jump out to her tackled mother. She was screaming just as her mother was. Guards were taking Viola, Mercy’s mother, away to be burned at the stak. Mercy knew what was happening but couldn’t comprehend why her father, Albus, was holding her back.

  “Mercy stop, there is nothing we can do now.” Albus hissed in her ear.

  “No papa! We must stop them! Use a freezing sp-” Mercy was interrupted by her father’s hand clamping over her mouth. He turned her to face him and looked deep into her eyes; she could see pain in them.

  "Mercy, hush!" He hissed again. She slowly nodded and tears began to fall down her rosy cheeks.

  “You!” a guard said to Mercy's father, pointing an accusing finger at him. "Have you consorted with this?!" Albus desperately wanted to scream to the heavens that he had. He consorted with Viola, fell in love and bore seven year old Mercy. Viola said otherwise.

  “Of course not! I have dignity, I would never have any relations with a human!” she yelled.

  “You have admitted to the crime! She is a witch!” the guard shouted at her. It didn’t phase Viola as she knew there was no convincing them she was innocent; once you were accused, there was nothing anyone could say or do. The two other guards gripped her flowing blond locks and tore handfuls out of its roots. Viola bared the pain in silence. She was dragged away from her husband and child but not before mouthing ‘I love you’ to them. Mercy eventually broke free and ran after them but the guards were too fast for Mercy’s little legs. She tripped and landed face first into the floor of their home and sobbed. She had died inside.

 *9 Years Later*

  “Father, I do not wish to marry a man of such high status to carry out your horrid plan,” Mercy told father as he paced in front of her bed with his hands behind his back. He was angry; his brow furrowed.

  Father stopped pacing and stood directly in front of Mercy. “No child of mine will disrespect me like this, especially after everything I’ve done for them.” He eyed Mercy, making sure she knew it was directed at her in particular. “I raised you, kept you healthy and happy so you will do as I say!” he continued his paces. Mercy could feel tears begin to well up in her eyes and fall down her face.

  This wasn’t what she wanted at all. This wasn’t what her late mother had wanted for her either; she wanted Mercy to grow old happy and loved. To choose her own path and husband.

  “Father, it is not my intention to cause you angst but this is against mothers will. I don’t want this for me. Do you not want me to grow as a young woman contentedly?” Albus bowed his head.

  After a minute of silence between the two, he sat down on his daugter's bed beside her and sighed. “Mercy, this isn’t going to be forever. The thought of having him marry you and parade you on his arm at the fancy balls make me sick to my stomach. I do not wish for you to be unhappy,” he calmly explained to her.

  “If you do not wish for me to be unhappy why have you made up such a horrible plan? Surely we are not setting a good impression of our kind.” Mercy pointed out to him.

  “But my dear, we are not setting a good impression if we let a mortal do us wrong and don’t act upon it. We are definitely not weak.” He told her.

  Mercy’s lip quivered as she realised he was indeed correct. They both were powerful and nothing could ever lesson that fact.

  “Father…do you promise I won’t have to be married to him forever?” she asked.

  “I would never allow that. Mercy, this is a very noble act that must be carried out, do you think you can handle it?”

  “I’m not sure father; I will have to think about it.”

  “As you wish but remember this would put your mother’s spirit at rest.” she disliked when he used mother to persuade her, she could not say no.

  Father quickly left her room and closed her door behind him leaving Mercy alone. Slowly, Mercy lay on her bed and looked around her dim room. All her possessions comprised of a bed and a trunk of ten dresses. Mercy never cared for how much she had in the world. She just breezed through everyday and everyday meant nothing to her since her mother was killed.

  The man she was to marry was the Duke of Edinburgh’s son Alexander V. It hurt for Mercy to think of his name. His father, the current Duke, was dying and he was taking his place. His father knew Mercy's mother and father well. The Duke was taken with Mercy's mother and due to her rejecting to his advances, they all were no longer friends. The Duke was so bitter that he had her killed. Mercy's mission was to marry his son Alexander and kill him so that in the Duke's last moments of this world, the Duke would feel the pain of losing a loved one like Mercy and Albus had.

  Mercy cried into her pillow and curled up into a ball under her covers to keep warm. She blew out the candle at her bedside out before closing her eyes to sleep. Mercy smiled a she pushed away the negative points of the plan to one side and realised the positive side of the plan. Revenge. The Duke couldn't get away this and he should be made to feel and understand the misery he  brought upon Mercy's family. Revenge would be sweet though it wouldn’t bring Viola back. That's what was always on her mind; her mother. Something else implanted itself in her mind at that moment for her to ponder on: who’s to say the plan will go smoothly?

 _________________________

Hope that was okay!

Any feedback is much appreciated!

(Please don't go over board woth grammar and everything, I'm still an ameture writer :)

Vote, comment and fan! :D