Part 15

Monday rolled around quickly. In second period English class, a few minutes before our teacher walked in to begin things, Pauline rushed in. Her eyes widened when she saw me sitting at my seat. Her arms full of books, she came over and plopped down in a random seat next to me. "Hey Susan."

I tried to smile. "Hey."

"I, uh, called you over the weekend. I wanted to know how you were doing. You know, since Friday... since everything else."

"Oh. Uh, yeah." I scratched my head. "Yeah, I received your call. I just had a lot on my mind, and... I, uh, I went to see Kenny." I wasn't sure why I was telling her this. Maybe because people would be bound to find out anyway.

Her eyes widened. She scooted closer. "Oh my god. How was that? How is he?"

"Um. He's... okay. Just trying to be strong and hanging in there. We talked and all, but I couldn't stay long. Time was, um, pretty limited."

Pauline nodded through every word I spoke. "Wow." She sounded amazed. "He's so strong."

I nodded. "Yeah."

"How are you holding up with him being in there? How have you been so brave?"

I shrugged. "I've gotta be okay. It's the only thing I can do to help Kenny. I mean I- I can't crack now." I abruptly stopped talking as I felt I was pouring my heart out too much. Lucky for me though, our teacher came into the classroom and Pauline went to her assigned seat as the room filled with more students. Throughout the morning, I was grateful that nobody tried to be extra nice to me or ask how I was doing. I didn't need pity or extra sympathy. Pauline and her flock treated me like a fragile bird. They walked super close to me, giving me sympathetic looks and nodding their heads every time I spoke as though to say, 'I understand.'

During lunch, as I sat a table with them, I had enough. I told them I was going to the library after eating half of my sandwich. Samantha offered to go with me but I told her I was fine. I found the library open, with barely any people in it - like usual. I waved to the librarian and sat at a lone table by a bunch of computers and a single book rack. I grabbed some random books off the rack to keep myself busy since I had left my phone in my locker and didn't feel like getting up to retrieve it.

Minutes later, a figure passed by me, dropping a piece of paper in front of me, right under my nose. Startled, I looked up, to see the figure walking away. Derrick. Confused, I looked at the paper. It was a small square folded in two. It said, Don't open right away. I looked up. He was gone. What was this? I unfolded the piece of paper anyway, my curiosity taking over. I looked around. No one seemed bothered by my existence. With the coast clear, I read the note: Meet me in computer room 309 10 minutes after school. I'm sorry about last Friday. We need to talk. It's important.

I reread it two more times. What did Derrick think we needed to talk about? We had already shared some words a couple of times in a few not so great altercations. I didn't want a third one to take place. Especially not in private. I certainly didn't trust being alone with him. Not again. And why did he think I was going to wait ten minutes after school just to meet up with him? I wasn't sure I wanted to. *

I found myself standing by my locker after my last class, texting Dad to let him know that I was going to be staying after school for a bit. He asked who I was with so I used Samantha's name and it was left at that. I took my time at my locker, organizing my books and my bag, waiting for ten minutes to be up. The hall cleared up quickly. Soon, it seemed as though the school were empty. Once there was two minutes left, I grabbed my things and headed to the computer room, walking at a gentle pace. Once I made it to the room, I slowly opened the door, poking my head in slightly. It was dark.