Little Surprises

Unboxing the root of his problems, it was a box that he brought up from the storage room in the basement. It had took him long enough to bring it up after what happened. He texted, called and even left a freaking emailed her. She never responded and it was pointless at times. She only back for her drug business, never about getting the family back together. That's one of the reasons he'll never forgive her. She caused her son and daughter so much pain. He should've known she had other things up her sleeves.

The box's contents when he opened it caused his heart to clench. He had forgotten all about what the box contained. It had been so long since he opened that box.

He looked down at the box once again but then stopped when he heard the front door open. Alice was holding a box in her arms. He looked up and his heart ached at the smell in the air. His son would love having pizza with them, probably would've devoured the whole thing himself. He sniffed the air with a sour taste in his mouth.

He thought back to all the support Alice had gave him back all those months ago. It had been a few months since he found out his son died and he was now going through the box that he kept avoiding.

"FP..." she started." I got us Pizza." She quickly caught onto the look on his face and backtracks. "I-I didn't mean to upset you..."

"You didn't." She knew it was something. He just wasn't telling her and she wanted to make him feel better."It's-- never mind." He cuts himself off, looking back down at his hands.

"What's wrong, FP?" She asks as she slowly walks towards the couch where he is sitting.

"It's not nothing, FP. What's bothering you?" He doesn't respond. Alice finally catches onto him and gingerly places a hand on the small of his back.

He sucked in the air between his teeth. Alice catches the glimpse of something in lying loosely in his hand. She looked down and sees a red piece of construction paper with little handwriting. It was one of his kid's old artwork pieces they made for him when they were little. Alice knew what those little crafty stuff the kids make they were young make a parent's heart melt into pieces.

A box of old artwork that was what made FP crumble. Alice took his hand into hers, trying to gain his attention but it stayed glued to the paper with the word "Daddy" in big bolded letters.

"Oh... FP." Her words came out as whispers.

"He made this when he was little." He muttered still looking at the picture. She didn't say anything just let him talk. "He came home one day from school with this big smile on his face and said," Daddy, look what I made!" I remember his smile being so big and it almost made me laugh but I didn't. He handed it to me and I was in Awe. I said," Juggie, you made this for me?" He had this smile in his eyes and said,"Yes, I made it just for you, Daddy!" I couldn't stop smiling the whole way home." Alice could tell he was about to cry again but he blinked back the tears.

He looked down at the drawing his son made all those years ago and hugged it to his chest. The words were a little sloppy but nothing more than FP had expected from his son at the time. He was about seven years old when he made that for him. The stick people had macaroni hands and feet. Jughead gave himself a crown that had glued-on macaroni noddles on top. The eyes were glinting with upside down pieces from his kraft Mac and Cheese that was uncooked. FP's dry laugh only made Alice more worried.

"He insisted that I buy a box of macaroni and wouldn't tell me why. Then one day after school he came running to me with his arms latching onto me. He gave me that and I couldn't make up the words to say." She listened to the story as she soothed him by rubbing gentle circles into his back.

"It's not fair... all I have left of him is this... not his stupid beanie or--"He cut himself off with a soft sob escape through his lips.

He tried so hard to stop himself from breaking down. Unfortunately it was inevitable and beyond to come. He didn't want to think of his son on that night. He already felt guilty that the last thing he said to him was in a fight. He had been so angry with the fact he let Stonewall walk all over him, he didn't see that his son was only trying to protect himself the best way he knew.

Alice knew that he wasn't taking the loss of Jughead well. I mean how could he. His son made him who he always wanted to be. Jughead was almost the first Jones to go to college and he even got into Yale. He's everything FP wanted to be. He never got the chance because his father was abusive and FP didn't want his son to be like he is.

"I know... baby. I know it's not fair. He was taken way too soon. I miss him too, FP. This town hasn't been the same since he passed. You already lost Fred this year, now Jug, I can't even tell you how much it hurts because I've never had that type of pain. When Charles... well I thought he was dead... I thought I lost him. I know it's not the same..." He tried to squeeze his eyes tightly to stop the incoming tears but nothing worked.

"I miss him, I miss him every damn day. I didn't even get to say goodbye. We fought the last time I saw him... I want him back."

Alice held him close to her with everything she had left. Her eyes began to tear up as well as he cried. "N-no more bike rides, seeing succeed in his writing. I'll never get to see him get married or any children of his own. I'm forever grateful that Charles is my life but I'm still missing my anchor. He got me sober and I'm shocked I haven't started drinking. After his mother came back... she... I didn't know she was up to something. He kept trying to tell me. His speech I could tell that he was about to say something that night but he didn't. I think he didn't want to ruin my birthday. I just wished I would've know... maybe I could saved him all that pain... I-I feel like it's my fault..."

Alice shakes her head at him." No, no, it is not you're fault. It was her choices not yours. How were you supposed to know what she was up to? The answer is you couldn't... she was a slimy snake and didn't care about who she hurt. Not you, never you, Baby."

He laid his head on her right shoulder as she wiped away his tears gently with her fingertips.

—-xxx—
I wrote this before the 4x15 reveal. I have a lot time to myself now that everyone is off... I'm not getting into that. Right now trying to find another job and hoping my money I have left with last me until I find something.

I saw this last week and I knew I had to write something with it!