XXIII - Checkmate

Anne carefully counted the bricks and pushed the one she knew opened to some unknown room. As the wall moved, she gasped in surprise. Even knowing what would happen somehow didn't lessen her wonder that it actually worked for her.

Moving through the darkness, Anne wished she had light to guide her way. She bumped into a table and glass smashed to the floor. Something rubbed against her leg and she stifled a scream as her heart lurched in terror. A soft meow in the darkness settled Anne's nerves.

"Circe?" she whispered. She relaxed as the animal purred against her leg.

"I thought I sensed a disturbance. What are you looking for?" A soft blue light basked the room as Millie stood in the doorway.

Anne didn't say anything. There really was no good answer. She fidgeted with her fingers.

"Are you ready to learn what you are really made of?" Millie came closer to Anne, further illuminating the room, allowing Anne to see the piles of books and jars lining the walls. "Has the cat got your tongue?"

"I've followed you here."

"Many times, I know. Yet this time you came on your own. You must be ready then...?"

Anne swallowed hard and licked her lips, not quite sure what was in store for her. When she had danced around in the woods that night, the power she felt flowing through her body terrified and excited her. What else was she capable of feeling? What else could she do?

"We have the power to change the course of history, Anne."

Finally, she asked the question she really wanted the answer to, even as she was afraid to hear it. Foolish thoughts had filled her mind for days. Just how much power did she really have? Enough to fix things for real? "Can we change the past?" She whispered as sweat broke out all over her body.

"Change it? How do you suppose we could change the past?" Millie asked, a hint of disdain in her voice. "Trust me, Anne, if I could change the past, the world would be a completely different place." Millie sat in a chair by a fireplace in the corner. Anne watched in awe as the fireplace suddenly lit and Circe jumped up onto Millie's lap.

Anne ignored the dancing flames as she took in Millie's words. Her heart sank in disappointment. "So, then, I can't somehow get Henry back."

"Henry Percy?" Millie spit the name. "For Heaven's sake, Anne. I thought you were over him. He's weak. Let's move on to other things, shall we?"

Anne let her shoulders sag as she sat on a stool by the table. "What do you suppose then?"

"Who do you think is really to blame for your luck in love, Anne?"

"The king? He was obviously instrumental in my engagement falling apart."

Millie groaned with annoyance. "No, Anne, think bigger than the king."

Here, Anne contemplated. "God?"

Millie clucked her tongue with pleasure, a smile tugging her lips. "That's right, Anne. God. He, assuming you believe Him to be real, is the one ultimately responsible for what has happened in your life. He guides the king's decisions, does He not? Why would He cause such pain in your life, unless He wanted for you to play a role in the events to come?"

"What events?"

"Anne, this country is primed for the church to become less powerful. Think of all the unrest around indulgences. The works in Tyndale and Luther are starting to take hold. A schism within the church needs a simple push and you could be spark that sets the flame alight."

"King Henry."

"Yes, Anne. He loves you already. His letters prove it. You need to get back to Greenwich and start your work."