PROLOGUE

It was the middle of the night so logically she should be sleeping. But lately even though she felt so tired, she couldn't find it in herself to sleep. Ever since the loss of her grandmother (who was like her mother since her parents died when she was only one), she couldn't sleep, too terrified to wake up and remember all over again that she was gone.

         Instead, she laid wide awake on her twin bed clutching a pillow to her chest in her dorm room. Her roommate was gone, partying somewhere. She was lucky to be in college, getting in on a full scholarship, but lately she didn't feel so lucky. She felt so alone; the empty vacuum in her chest hurt so much she could barely breathe, but her lungs kept working and her heart kept pumping.

         Sometimes she wished that wasn't true, but then she'd remember her Gran and how if she was here she would scold her for even thinking such a thing. She'd smile at those thoughts and start crying all over again because Gran was just that, a thought, a memory, and no longer a living being.

           Even though she got no sleep, tonight she was, especially, glad for it. She stopped thinking about the ache in her chest when she heard, felt, a scream in her mind. She instantly sat up.

           Sookie, she thought.

          Sookie was her older sister and the two girls may have looked ordinary, they were far from it. They both had telepathic abilities and the bond that made them sisters created a telepathic link between them, especially, at dire moments like this one. She could feel Sookie's pain as if it were her own and she clutched at her back, an invisible wound.

          She got up from her bed and quickly got dressed before rushing out the door to find her sister. Gemma Stackhouse would not lose anymore family.

______

Fangtasia.

In flashes of images, Gemma figured out where her sister was and who her sister was with. She drove over the speed limit and, luckily, didn't get pulled over. She jumped out of the old, beat-up car once she put it in park and ran through the entrance.

"Humans can never learn the meaning of the word closed, can they?" Eric mused before he vamp sped in front of her once she pushed through the door.

He was going to glamour her to leave before he caught her scent which made his fangs drop. She smelt sweeter than Sookie, so much sweeter.

Gemma didn't give him a glance and went around the tall blond, "Sookie!"

Her sister was laid on a couch on her stomach and Gemma could see the bloodied wounds on her back that a very, small person was looking over. The cries that came from Sookie's mouth made Gemma wince and tears form.

         "What happened to her?" Gemma questioned as she kept her eyes on Sookie.

          "Something attacked her. We don't what it is," Bill answered. "How did you know to come here?"

Sookie spoke, "You heard me."

"I heard your scream," Gemma answered and Bill furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Your blood isn't working?" Gemma questioned as she looked to Bill. He shook his head. "No."

"Will you be able to save her?" Gemma questioned the small woman.

"I might. I'll need time to work."

Might wasn't good enough. Gemma pushed her sleeves up and Sookie shook her head, her words slurring, "D-Don't you dare."

Gemma crouched down in front of her sister, "You don't know what you're saying, Sook. I can do this."

         Sookie, even in her damaged state, thought about the link between them and sent the idea of pain to her sister. Gemma clutched her head as she hissed; it was like an electrical shock in her brain.

          "No," Sookie refused. She wouldn't allow her baby sister to reveal the extent of her powers in front of Eric.

           Gemma gritted her teeth, "You don't get to say no about this."

She touched Sookie's shoulder lightly before she closed her eyes. A bright white light erupted like a halo around her hand, and as she thought of replacing all the pain she felt with light, the wounds on her sister were lit up with light before it disappeared into her skin and the wounds started to stitch themselves back together.

             Bill and Eric watched in fascination. Bill had only heard mentions of the sister and he glared at Eric who watched her hungrily, with his fangs still out, like she was a prize.

"Bill, you didn't tell me there were two of them," Eric commented, putting his fangs away. "And this one is much more fascinating."

            Once the wounds were healed, Gemma opened her eyes and pulled her hand away. Sookie was now sleeping like a baby, free of pain, and she wished she could sleep for once.

         "I don't want to move her," she looked towards the two vampires, one shocked and the blonde one looking at her like she was a meal he wanted to have. "But I don't want to leave her either."

           "Gemma, you should go home. I can watch over Sookie," Bill argued protectively.

           "It's going to be daylight, Bill," she glanced at him as she crossed her arms. "No."

            "Stubborn. I like that in a breather," Eric chuckled. "And you're welcome to stay and watch over your sister; I assure you nothing will happen to her."

              She studied him hesitantly, "Thank you."

              He smirked like he won a prize while he stared at her with desire, "You are very welcome."

           Bill glared at Eric but she didn't much care about the way Eric was looking at her. She merely sat on the ground in front of her sister as the two of them left to sleep in their coffins for the day. She did not sleep at all; the one moment she closed her eyes, she only recalled her grandmother in a pool of her own blood. She swore to herself to never sleep again.