Alert

Prompt 43: "It's been six years!" Continuation
______________________________
-2 weeks later-

Martin Whitly smirked as he ambled out his cell, a bloody scapel held loosely in one hand. The other trailed along the wall, smearing blood in its path. He stopped spreading his art long enough to grab the keycard his guard had once wore and opened the hallway door.

Martin hummed quietly to himself as he left, the door closing on the horrific scene he had left behind. He left the facility effortlessly. After all, it wasn't difficult to escape without being seen if there were no witnesses...
********************
Malcolm Bright was having a wonderful day. His little bird was safe learning at school and his mother was off helping some charity from the background. That left him free to be kidnapped by Ainsley for breakfast to bond.

Malcolm would pretend to fuss and act like he was annoyed but Ainsley saw right through him. She'd just grin and nudge him gently before swooping in to steal a sip of his drink or a bite of his food. He'd chide her but always let her get away with it, content to let her have her way.
********************
Malcolm managed to enjoy a walk with his sister, sit down at lunch and eat with his mother and watch a football game with Gil.

Now he was joining Danny and JT for a drink while Ainsley picked up Grace for a sleep over. Honestly, Malcolm had no idea who was more excited between Grace and Ainsley. He didn't care though as both his girls were thrilled. Even Jessica was happy to be hosting.

Malcolm was beaming as he greeted his team, eyes gleaming with happiness. He was actually really enjoying his life at that moment.

"Hey, Bright!" JT called, lifting his beer in welcome.

"Hello-" Malcolm's phone vibrating in his pocket cut him off. He pulled it out and grinned at the name.

"Are you already calling me to pick Grace up?" He laughed into the phone. "She's not that bad." Danni smiled at his words. "Come on, what happ-"

"Malcolm," Ainsley sounded serious and worried. Malcolm's father instincts immediately went on alert. "Grace is missing. The school said-"

"What the hell do you mean, Grace is missing?" Malcolm's teeth were gritted so tightly it was a miracle he could even be understood. Danni and JT stood.

"Malcolm, the school said her grandfather picked her up."

Malcolm's whole world came crashing down.
********************
Martin had many connections outside his cell, so many people eager to help The Surgeon. He used those connections to get new clothes and a car. He even had a tech savy fan hack in and get him access to his goal, along with some much needed paperwork and identification.

"Hello," Martin smiled brightly, eyes unusually warm. The woman behind the desk flustered and blushed, head dipping in embarrassment. "I'm here to pick up my granddaughter. Grace Bright."

"Oh, name?" the woman said.

"Martin Bright." He said, simply.

She typed something into her computer. And there it was, the name 'Martin Bright' on the list of people allowed to pick up Grace. It sat snuggly between Malcolm and Ainsley's names. "Let me just go get her." She smiled and hurried out the office.

Martin leaned against the desk, crossing his ankles. The suit he had managed to get fit perfectly and he gently brushed out imaginary wrinkles. He looked up as he heard the door open, eyes going wide. The receptionist walked in, a little girl following behind. Martin took her in.

Her hair was long and curly, pinned back on one side with a barret in the shape of a bird. The black locks sat over her right shoulder of her pale yellow dress. Her little shoes were black with yellow birds printed on the sides. In her hands was a tiny backpack and Martin was suddenly back to walking Ainsley in for her first day of school.