CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"Should I go talk to her? Will she want to talk to me? Oh my God, who could have done that to her?" Mom paced around the kitchen in confusion.

"She'll obviously not want to talk to you. You know how uptight Maddie is and besides you are the mom, and you know you also forced her to pull off her glasses. She'll most certainly view you as the enemy." I placed my hand on my chin in thought.

Mom nodded her head vigourously, "You're right. I'm the wrong person to talk to her right now. You're the sister, you're the best person to talk to her."
I laughed a sarcastic laughter and asked, "Me? I'm the best person to talk to her? You must be kidding me right now. If you are the wrong choice, I am the worst choice. Maddie hates me so much that she might just kill me if I step into her room." Honestly my mom must be delusional to think that I'm the best person to talk to Maddie right now. Maddie will slash me up and make me feel horrible that I even tried.

"Yes, Lettie you are the best person and trust me this will strengthen you guys relationship. She'll be so happy that someone was there for her. Do it for your sister Lettie." Mom placed her hands on my shoulder.
"The bridge for I and Maddie's relationship has been broken a long time ago, and anytime I tried fixing it, I ended up getting more hurt, so I have decided to leave what is broken as broken."

"That's a very terrible thing to say Lettie. Maddie is your only sister and also your only sibling. You both only have each other, so if you don't fix your relationship now, there'll be no other time for it to be fixed. Which is why," Mom said while reaching into the freezer and fetching an ice pack, she dumped it on my hands and started pushing me out of the kitchen, "the best time to fix your relationship is now like I said."

I resisted and started coming back into the kitchen but Mom said something that stopped me short, "If everyone gives up on Maddie, then who can she call her family? Who can she say still loves her no matter what? You have to give your sister a chance. Besides God gives you a chance everytime you sin and he hasn't abandoned you because of your mistakes. Why don't you extend the same hand of love towards your sister?"

With that said, I decided to give it a trial. So here I am climbing the stairs to Maddie's room. The same stairs I climbed the day she told me that I will be better off dead.
I knocked on her door twice and no response. I knocked again and this time I heard a muffled response, "Go away. I don't want to talk to anyone mom."
So she thought I was Mom? Well, here goes nothing. I tried the handle of the door but it was locked. Stupid me! I smacked my forehead. Like she'll leave her door open for anyone to come in.

"Maddie open up, it's Lettie." I said.
"More reason why I shouldn't open up." She yelled with her tone laced with venom.
"I come in peace and with an ice pack. Don't you think you should ice that before it changes to a black bruise. You know you are also a face model and your face is an important asset for your career." I attempted to convince her and I was pulling all the available strings right now.

I didn't hear anything but after sometime I heard the beeping noise our doors make when they're being opened with the remote. I didn't waste anytime getting in before Maddie changes her mind.

"Set the ice pack on the table and get out." Maddie said immediately I entered her room from her bed.
I did like she said, except I didn't do the last part. Instead I moved closer to her bed and asked, "May I sit?"

Maddie didn't say anything and most times Maddie's quietness in my disposition means a yes. I sat down and she didn't say anything, instead she just kept on sniffing into her pillow. I decided to keep quiet as she cried. I felt it was better for her to let it out and talk to me on her own terms.
After like seven years passed, just kidding more like fifteen minutes I finally heard a small voice say, "He hit me."