10

ETHAN
Sunday Brunch, September 24

"Why aren't you gloating?"

Emma sips her mimosa. "Why would I gloat?"

"Because you know full well that you saved my ass."

She shrugs. "That's what you're paying me for. I don't need to gloat. I already know I'm good at what I do."

"Yes, you are. I . . . underestimated you. I apologize."

She gives me a startled look, then studies me, as though looking for sarcasm. She can look all she wants; there is none. I can give credit when it's due, and it's definitely due here.

We've been seated at our table for nearly half an hour, and every moment that passes, my tension eases a little bit more. While I'm not out of the woods as far as my reputation goes, I'm confident I made a solid step forward in the damage-control department, thanks to her.

"Are they watching us?" I ask.

"Can't tell," Emma says. "But just in case . . ." She scoops up a forkful of eggs and holds it across the table for me, an adoring smile on her face.

I roll my eyes, something I can get away with, since my back is to the Wolfes and Feinstein.

Still, I dutifully eat the eggs off her fork, because apparently, that's what people in love do? I wouldn't know.
"You think he bought it?" I ask.

"Who, Adam?" she asks before taking another sip of her mimosa.

I shake my head at her casual use of his first name. "Yeah, Adam. How is it you've never mentioned you're on a first-name, best-friend level with Adam Feinstein? And his wife? And his daughter?"

"This is why you're paying me the big bucks," she says with a smile. "And they're a sweet family. They invited me to a Hanukkah party last year."

"You celebrate holidays with them? You're not even Jewish."

She shrugs. "So? They know that. Just like they know the holidays can be lonely."

I look up at that, a little startled by the admission. For some reason, it never occurred to me that someone as sassy and confident as Emma Chamberlain would ever be lonely, but . . .

Of course she would be. How could she not be? My family drives me up the fucking wall, but it's still a warm place to go during the holidays, where they're happy to see me.

I don't know the details of Emma's family situation beyond the fact that she has none. Or at least none she keeps in contact with.

My throat tightens with guilt at never having thought to include her in any holiday festivities. Not that she'd have taken me up on the offer, but thinking of her spending them all alone . . .

"Quit looking at me like that," she says, nibbling on a piece of bacon.

"Like what?"

"Like you feel sorry for me. I assure you, I'm just fine with my holiday routine."

I want to ask more about it. If she celebrates alone. Or with Michael. Or . . .

"Your bunnies just left," she says, derailing my thoughts.

"My bunnies?"

"The bar bunnies: Kara and Robin."

I wince. "Right. In my defense—"

She holds up her hands. "Don't. You don't owe me explanations, remember? And I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable defense for how you can't be bothered to remember the names of women you—"