Dreams

Chapter 3: Dreams

All of my dreams are all I see

Try not to wake me let me be

All of my dreams are all I see

Try not to wake me can't you see

All of my dreams are all I wanna see

Trapped by Dead by April

Xeraelyn cherished those moments when she just woke up, her mind still lost in whatever distant dream clouded her thoughts that night, blissfully unaware of her surroundings. She clung to the last tendrils of sleep like a lifeline, determined to remain oblivious to reality for a moment longer. Of course they slipped away still, no matter how tightly she tried to hold them and the events of the last few days rushed back to her.

Sighing heavily into a pillow she wrenched herself into a sitting position, scanning the room to ensure that it was empty. The bed across from hers was just as it had been when she fell asleep. She slumped against the headboard, covering her face with her hands. After Lord Caeroe left the night before she’d been unable to keep her calm any longer and allowed herself to cry. Now she was regretting that decision as she felt even more tired than when she finally fell asleep. Scrubbing her eyes she gave herself a shake and climbed out of bed.

Venturing through the curtains Xera was pleased to find a silver tray resting on the low table where she had sat the previous night with Gyren and Lord Caeroe. She lifted the intricate, polished lid to find a fresh roll with small dishes holding a variety of jams set around it. Along with this were a small pile of raspberries, two bright green apples, a pitcher of cool milk and an engraved silver goblet.

She lowered herself into the cushions and took her time with the crispy roll, working her way through the fruit and finishing half the pitcher of milk before she was satisfied. She revelled in the soft breeze whipping through the drapes, the sounds of birds, the rustle of leaves and faintly the unmistakable sound of people below, going about their business. It was a beautiful morning with the sun beating down on the forest, demanding that everyone stuck to the shade unless they wished to burn.

After lingering for a moment longer she stood, intent on dressing so that she could locate Lord Caeroe and get the answers that she needed. Fully aware that the chest and drawers did indeed hold everything she needed it didn’t take long for her to dress.

She chose a simple design – nothing like the lavish gowns she wore daily when attending to her duties as Sacred Priestess – with small silver flowers embroidered into the dark green cotton that made up the sundress and matching velvet shawl clasped in place with an emerald butterfly brooch. Under the first level in the chest was a row of delicate slippers, of which she chose a black pair. Xeraelyn brushed her fingers along the shawl, the softness a small comfort.

Her flaming hair was pulled into a loose side-plait interspersed with a green ribbon from the chest, a few waves coming loose to frame her face. Diamonds and emeralds dangled from her ears, alternating studs filling the several other piercings along the curve to follow the pattern. Her tanzanite eyes were framed with black kohl, cheekbones highlighted with a dusting of blush and lips darkened a shade to stand out against her fair skin.

After checking her appearance in the gilded hand mirror she ventured outside. Somehow the presence of two burly men at the top of the stairs – each armed with long, curved swords strapped to their bare backs – didn’t surprise her. Nor did the fact that as she descended they fell into step behind her, keeping a slight distance but not far enough that they wouldn’t be right beside her in a second.

She was relieved to note that the superior height of the pyramid allowed for her to look out across the entire camp and therefore locate Lord Caeroe without having to ask one of the guards. She could distinctly make out several larger figures arguing to the left of the pyramid. Amongst them were Gyren and Lord Caeroe, both silently listening to the ranted protests coming from a burly beast of a man.

“She has no right to be here, Caeroe! We cannot trust Sacred scum. She will turn her back on us just as swiftly as her predecessor and when she does there will be nothing left of us to salvage! I will not sit by and watch you destroy any hope we have of surviving!” The man bellowed, his chest heaving as he glared down at Lord Caeroe. Sweat peppered his body, causing his long dusty brown hair to plaster to his face and drops to run down his bare chest. Whether this was from the heated confrontation or merely the sun’s unrelenting attack, Xeraelyn could not be sure. A few of the others gathered behind him cheered at his words, but silenced immediately when Gyren lifted his hand.

“If you truly feel that I am destroying us, Farron, then do not let me stop you from leaving.” Lord Caeroe said evenly, levelling the monstrous man with his cold, hard silver eyes.

“You are a fool. We are destined to follow in the footsteps of our women.” A low rumble started up as the surrounding men turned their support to anger at that simple sentence.

“Make your choice, Farron and if it is your wish to leave be gone before sundown.” With that the confrontation was over and the men departed, Farron with a fierce glare at Caeroe.

“Ah, my Lady Xeraelyn!” Gyren enthused with a welcoming smile, catching sight of her just as she reached the bottom of the pyramid. “I trust you slept well?”

Xera gave a minute nod, her eyes still trained solely on Lord Caeroe and the anger she could see simmering just beneath his cool veneer. “Well enough.” She said as beads of sweat collected at the nape of her neck thanks to the heat of the sun.

“Come,” Gyren swept his emerald-swathed arm towards one of the smaller constructions, “The heat can be quite stifling at this time of day.”

“I am afraid that I have need of a running stream and silver goblet as soon as possible.” She announced, falling into step beside him and the two guards.

Gyren cast a sideways glance, curiosity clear in his raised eyebrows and pursed lips. “Of course, my Lady.” No sooner had the words left his lips than the young man with the raspberries – Talin – rushed up to them, his eyes wide with worry.

He hastily bowed low to Xera, rattling off a jumbled greeting before he took hold of Gyren’s arm and began pulling the old man off.

“Apologies, my Lady but it appears that someone is in need of my attentions.” Gyren called back, smiling apologetically at Xera as he was led away, “Loeker will see to it that you acquire what is needed.”

Xera cast her eyes skyward, her breath catching when she noted just how high the sun was. Never had she slept so late, and for good reason. She could not afford to be late.

Been a while. sorry :-) hope it didn't dissapoint...

AndUCallMeWeird