Chapter 2

...
Sighing, I walked off the loud bus and up to my front door. I got the hidden key from the nearby plant once the bus drove off and let myself in. The busses left a bit late today and I was home a little later than I usually am. I was way too annoyed to pay attention to where I threw my bookbag down. It hit a lamp which feel over and broke into a million pieces. "Shit." I muttered to myself. Meanwhile, I'm trying to clean up my mess before my brother gets home from work. That will probably be around 5pm, only about 10 minutes. I picked up the big pieces, but there were still so many small ones. Rushing to the laundry room, I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and ran back to my mess. I turned it on and scrambled to get each piece out of the carpet. Finally, I turned the vacuum cleaner off and put it away. Luckly, my brother still wasn't home yet.

I made my way upstairs to my bedroom and checked my phone to see a lock screen filled with new messages from.. CALUM?? Oh my god he texted me already?

The messages read:
Hey I'm bored

Hey again. I finished all my homework.

Um wanna work on our project still?

Sorry I probably seem so alone and desperate.

I kind of am lol haha

You there Alex?

Waiting :)

...
I immediately responded saying, "Oh HEY! haha. Yes of course I still want to! Why don't you come over? :)".

About 10 seconds after I replied Calum said, "Sure. What's the address? :-)".

"1837 Walker Dr.".

"Okay! Can I come now? (: (:".

"Yep!"

"Okay see you in around 6 minutes. =D "

...
I heard the doorbell ring, and immediately, I ran down the stairs extremely excited to start on this project. I made my way to the door and let Calum in, but i was surprised to see it wasn't him.

It was my brother.

He's always so overprotective over me and shit. You could say I'm not the luckiest person because Calum pulled up right when I was about to close the door. I already know my brother is gonna be suspicious and overprotective like always. I totally forgot my brother even was alive, honestly. All I'm really able to think about is Calum. I let him in while telling my brother that we are working on an important art project. Of course, he walks up to Calum, who looks scared shitless, and asks questions i already knew he would ask.

"I'm Alexis's brother. You sure you two aren't dating?"

"N-No, sir."

"No need to call me sir. Just keep your hands off my little sister. Thanks." He spat.

With that, I gave Calum and apologetic look and we hurried up the stairs.

"Sorry about him." I stated.

"It's fine. Does he take care of you? Your parents home?"

fuck.

my parents. I hate them so much. They ruined my childhood. They ruined my life. They ruined every good memory I have ever had. Even this. Working with Calum is something huge for me considering I have no friends, but my parents always find their way into a coverstation. Just like right now. I didn't exactly know how to respond to Calum's questions.

"Um." I gulped. "Well I live with brother, yes." I took a deep breath. "My parents are.. not exactly.. um part of my life anymore."

"Oh Im so sorry I brought it up!" He replied sweetly.

"It's perfectly fine." I just stared into his dark beautiful eyes. They were so amazing and full of wonder. He snapped me back into reality by breaking the silence. "What's something you like?" He asked. "I don't know..?" I said.

"Cookies?" He asked smiling.

"I guess so."

"Well I don't know you well enough to know."

"Well I like black. Like a lot."

"I can tell!" He giggled and I laughed along.

I was about to explode with happiness.

It made me super exicited and grateful to have someone to talk to, especially someone as nice as Calum. I'm always so lonely.

It's great that somebody even knows I exist.

···
A/N: YEAH. lol so kinda long chapter but.. Yeahh. Still short. So the last word was the title and it kinda has to do with the story's meaning but trust me I have great plans and im so excited. Thanks to my beautiful best friends ( 1d_5sauce__ and mackenzie737 ) for inspiring me to keep working on these. love you both💖❥❥.