two

A few years ago, Shawna replaced Romeo as my best friend. Seemingly overnight, I lost the person who understood me the most. I was more fragile than ever, and I never quite fully recovered. Because of this, Shawna developed a deep disdain for Romeo and grew armor tough enough to protect us both.

Yet, even as Shawna and I grew closer, she never understood me like Romeo had. She was realistic and rational. I was overly emotional. I was constantly overwhelmed by too many feelings, and I didn't have what it took to control the way I released them. When I tried to hold anything in, I experienced a piece of Romeo's insanity. Shawna and I got along, but we didn't click. It didn't help that she had no clue what was going on in my life. As far as me and Romeo's relationship, she knew about as much as I did, which was not much at all because Romeo never offered an explanation as to why we couldn't be friends anymore.

When I reached out to Romeo a few days ago, he had replied for the first time in years. I hadn't been sure how to feel. All I ever wanted was to hear from him, but actually talking to him again was really weird. We couldn't exactly pick up where we left off because the metaphorical equivalent of "where we left off" was him throwing me off the side of a cliff and running the other way.

And now, I was sitting in a car with Romeo, about to run away with him, while Shawna was seeing us off.

"There's something not right about this," Shawna said as she stared me down. "It doesn't add up. How did everything you've gone through lead to this?"

Romeo was smart enough to not open his mouth.

"Graham, think about it," Shawna pleaded. "Why are you here? Where are you about to be? Are you ready for that?"

Essentially, I was abandoning the person who had never let me down in favor of the person who ghosted me years ago. Guilt clouded my mind, but I already knew I wasn't going to stay, and she knew me well enough to read that in my expression.

Shawna sighed. "You'd better call me every single day."

"As if I could go a day without hearing your annoying voice," I finally replied. "Don't worry about me. Take care of yourself."

Shawna nodded. "I will. Stay safe. That goes for both of you. I love you. That one only goes to Graham because frankly, Romeo, I still hate your guts."

Her hatred was more of an act at this point. Last night, Romeo and Shawna had finally settled their differences because we all collectively realized that life was too short to be spent on hating other people. Goodbyes were easier when no one walked away with burdens.

Romeo grinned. "Bye, Shawna. Thank you for everything. Really."

Shawna rolled her eyes. "Get off of my driveway before I change my mind."

Of course, I felt bad for leaving. This girl meant the world to me. But I also felt the need to get out because, as I grew up, my mind had gotten too big for this little town. I had only been happy here because of Romeo and Shawna, and Shawna would never leave this place due to her "born here, die here" mentality. Romeo, however, had also outgrown this place a long time ago.

"I love you too," I said to Shawna. "I'll call you tonight."

She stepped back and spread her arms out. "Get the fuck out."

Romeo threw her a salute. "Yes, ma'am."

We backed out of the driveway, and ten minutes later, we were out of town. I couldn't believe it was that easy. There had been nothing to stop us.

"Why did it take you so long?" I asked Romeo as the surrounding scenery became more unfamiliar.

"You could have left so much sooner." In theory, I could have too.