I Eat them at Noon or under the Moon...

Vote for the Rhyming Story!

So I got a challenge to write a short story in which one of the characters is forced to Rhyme.  This particular story was inspried by Dr. Suess - and a spin off story of "Green Eggs and Ham" a friend wrote back in 2010.  Enjoy :) and if you read it please do consider voting!

PS: because of the Rhyme and accent, this took a little longer to write, about 40 minutes :)

“Hey Frankie—what do you know about the new Yankee? I mean which is better, me with my sweaters, or her with that wonderful purr?”  Samuel asked his ghost friend whilst walking down the street alone after a hard-thought day at class.

The ghost spun its head around once in a full circle and flew in front of Samuel, not stopping him, but getting close to his face.  “I don recon this ‘ere woman be a dolly wager, a cat chaser, and you be righ’-n-up gots the cooties for ‘er.”

“You think I’m in love? I ain’t got no doves, not around me! Not that you can see!  I think you’re crazy Frankie, has your mind gotten hazy?”

His ghost friend, still in front of him swirled around Samuel as he approached the street corner.  This was the biggest street corner of their walk home, six lanes across on either side—a beast of a street so huge most pedestrians take two full light cycles just to get all the way across, often getting trapped in the center divide between the hordes of rushing cars.

“Look at chu, you gots cupid in your eyes. Flying about up on cloud nine.  You can’t even ponder forward! You be trapped in that little bone-shell of yours thinkin’ all ‘bout this lady of the wind! Has she gotten to you my friend? Have I don’ lost my only pal again?”

The light turned green and Samuel started forward, when he first started walking to school he’d run across this street so he didn’t get stuck in the center, but today he was much too engaged with Frankie to worry about the speed in which he got home.  “I don’t think it’s her I like, you should go and take a hike.  I’d be hard to ask her seriously, any ideas of how I can do it mysteriously?”

“Look at you, blind as a bat!  You’re so in awe with your lovey-dovy you can’t see what’s been-a-coming!”  Samuel looked up and Frankie was right, the Yankee Ms. Little Emily was right smack dab in front of them, prepared to make contact with him in the center of the street for a long awkward pair of minutes before the light would turn green once more.

“Shit!” Samuel screeched, “This is it! Now quick, think of this flick—how can I ask her out without showing too much clout?”

“You be askin’ me?  Go up to her and slip a fast one right into them cute little fingers.  Give her a squeeze and just tell her you’re pleased!”

“Aye! I’ll try to be sly!” The moment of intersection occurred. 

Ms. Little Emily gave Samuel an awkward smile, pressing her red lips against one another. As she stopped on top of the curb in the center of the intersection she dropped into a little curtsy making sure to pick up the white frills of her deep yellow dress.  Her thick, curly red hair graciously fell over her shoulders as she spread out her arms and lifted herself back up.  With a quick flash of her pearly white teeth she stated firmly to Samuel, “Good day to my fine Sir.”

Samuel’s jaw locked up and air got caught in his throat, no one has ever introduced themselves to him like that before.  Most introductions are followed with snide remarks or rude accusations because of his imaginary friend and his inability to talk without rhyme.  With stiff arms Samuel looked at his ghost friend who only whisked himself though the cute redhead a few times while pointing at her precious fingers.  Samuel looked down, her fingers were so smooth and she had her nails painted a glossy yellow.