[First Draft] Chapter 22: Together (Part One)

Start from the beginning

But I couldn't waste time being frightened. I grabbed whatever was left of the salt on the floor, ignoring the pain as it dug into my hand, and charged towards it. The thing was surprised for a moment, but it quickly centred itself and roared in retaliation, warning me what it would mean if we were to come into contact.

It took all my courage to ignore its warning. I used its gaping, screaming mouth to my advantage. I stuck my hand inside, throwing the salt I had cupped in my hand down its burning throat.

It retched and then wailed a banshee shriek like nothing I had ever heard. All eight of its eyes flew wide in fury and pain. Gagging, it threw one last swipe of its massive paws. I froze-I had gotten too close to it, I couldn't dodge away.

I saw it move like it was slow motion, its huge fiery claws reaching for me. It came down on me like a force of nature. I expected the crushing impact, closing my eyes and anticipating the pain, but I felt nothing. For a moment I feared that I had misjudged my strength and that it had just killed me instantaneously, leaving me no time to even feel the sensation of death... but I heard it growl in frustration and I opened my eyes.

The creature was stumbling backwards, its mouth pouring thick bluish smoke, a black tarry substance dripping out the corners. It collapsed against the far wall-the wall that Lillian had blown a hole through-causing what was left of it to crumble and begin to burn.

"Rach-el..." his voice was weak but I could have heard it crystal clear in the loudest environment. Luc was alive-and awake- but barely. Gashes and burns patterned his body, and he was clutching a wound at his side that was bleeding quite a bit.

As I fell to his side, I realized then that he had use some of his remaining strength to provide some sort of shield for me, to protect me from its demon's strike.

"Luc!" I cried, passing my hands over him, desperate to help him but not sure of where to start. "Stay still, just rest! We'll get you out of here!"

"N-no..." Luc stammered weakly. "No, we need to stop Lillian..."

Lillian... somehow I had blocked her out of my mind in my frenzy to save Luc. I glanced over my shoulder to see how Polly was faring.

Stripped of her powers, Lillian and Polly were evenly matched. But I saw as flash of silver, and I noticed that Lillian was brandishing an ornate knife. Polly only had a splintered piece of wood-that was once part of my cupboards-and was carrying it like a club.

Lillian was graceful as she sliced and stabbed through the air, aiming for her sister. But Polly was practical... and fast. There may have been a poetry to how Lillian moved but Polly didn't waste time with flourishes. Her sister twirled and lunged and Polly dodged out of the way, hitting her in the stomach and snatching at her hair. But her hand closed on nothing as Lillian span away just in time.

"Polly... needs to finish... the spell..." Luc said weakly. "You need to... help..."

"But Luc, you're really hurt!" "Leave me..." I hesitated, not wanting to leave the man I loved in this state, but I knew he was right. If I dragged him away, there wouldn't be an escape from this woman. If we didn't kill her now, she would keep coming after us until she got what she wanted. There would be no hope for any of us if I ran away now.

"Don't worry," he said, seeing the apprehension in my face. He smiled slightly, in what I was sure he meant to be an encouraging way, but seeing the strain it took for him to make that small movement only made me worry more. "I'll protect you,"

"I'm not worried about me!" I muttered, but I smiled feebly back.

"But don't be swayed by Lillian... or whatever is pretending to be her. That's not her sister."