1

It didn't really happen in a day, but it felt like it did. Her whole world changed in one day.

Hermione was back at Hogwarts- back at it again, her books, her studies and her degree- putting behind everything that had happened in the war and its aftermath. She was never in favour of leaving anything unfinished and now that her parents weren't there anymore, she was hellbent on putting all her focus in completing her education and giving a jump-start to her career. And things were going well- she was her usual studious self in classes, doing her homework regularly, staying up till late at nights immersed in books and rigorously practicing charms and incantations.

It was popularly acknowledged that there wasn't any spell that Hermione Granger didn't know but she never showed off to the group of admirers that always thronged her whenever she displayed her set of skills. She rather liked to spend as much time away from the spotlight as possible, huddled up in the library where no one was likely to disturb her and where she could get lost without any care of the time or the outside world.

It was there, that Madam Pince had first discovered her passed out, almost hidden from view behind stacks of books. She thought that it was maybe out of exhaustion but she grew concerned when Hermione didn't wake even after she called out her name loudly. It was only after a few vigorous shakes that Hermione opened her eyes, a little disoriented and tired and quickly mumbled an apology. She assumed it was merely the stress of the war or the ensuing trials after that, that was catching up to her and the lack of rest she had had for throwing herself back into studies immediately after, but the librarian looked worried. So even though Hermione brushed her off, she made it a point to make her concern known to the Headmistress.

Hermione had never been one to fuss about herself but she couldn't deny that her health had taken a toll and lately she had found herself to be increasingly lethargic. She had always been bookish but simple exercises like climbing stairs or performing practical lessons took more of an effort than it should. And the wound on her arm felt raw and chafed, even oozing a bit of pus occasionally. But she had dived into academics in the hopes that she could focus on something other than her ailments- even Professor Snape's essays seemed like a treat since they were so long and difficult that it kept her mind off things- and she believed they would have to go away at some point. Or eventually she would get used to the pricking sensation inside her bones so much so that it would be a numb feeling at the back of her mind.

But a week after that, it happened again. She hadn't been feeling well since morning, but the Potions lesson felt particularly grueling. Even though she felt a little queasy, but not one to back down when it came to participating in class, she had firmly raised her hand up to answer. When Snape finally called upon her, she stood up and immediately felt her head spin.

"Are you...alright, Ms. Granger?" Snape asked, watching her hesitate. Usually she blurted out the answer- sometimes not even when she was called on- so her faltering for even a minute was surprising. His face looked a tad bit curious but he immediately assumed an air of annoyance, "If you don't know the answer, please sit down. You're wasting everyone's time."

"Please sir," she begged him to bear with her and chewed out the desired response with some difficulty. He seemed satisfied but noticed her clutching her desk for support. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Y-yes," she said shakily, "Um, may I be excused? I- I need to use the bathroom."

He allowed her off without a word although his eyes followed her as she stumbled out of her seat and carried herself uncertainly out of class. Hermione quickly found a stall because she thought she was going to be sick but even after a few dry heaves nothing would come out, although she felt everything gurgling inside. She broke out in a sweat, her head throbbing and she began to see black spots in her vision. The walls began closing in, swallowing her up and she burst out of the cubicle, clawing for air. She tried to make her way to the sink in order to splash some water on her face but her legs gave way and she sank to the cold tile floor.