The Water 2

****

“So, he’s cute!” Maggs said, interrupting Justine’s thoughts.

“Who?” Tine asked blank.

“You know who she’s talking about, Tine,” Breanne said.

Justine just gave them a blank look. She honestly didn’t know whom in the world they were talking about.

“Ethan, duh!” Maggs said exasperated.

“Oh, yeah, he’s pretty good-looking,” Justine really did agree there.

“Not just cute, Tine. You know I’m not lying here when I say he looked super into you,” Brea said.

Justine was about to answer when, as they had promised, there was a knock at the door. Justine rose from her bed, put her book up, and smoothed her hair back as she walked toward the door. She leaned forward to look through the peephole on the door to see all of the boys who were out beforehand.

“Start getting ready, guys,” Justine said to Margret and Breanne as she opened the door.

“Hey, we came a little bit early so that you’d have a bit of extra time. It takes around five to ten minutes to get to the cafeteria,” an unknown guy, with red hair, said.

“Ok. We can do that,” Justine said, starting to walk away, but stopped and turned, “I never caught the rest of your names.”

“That’s my fault,” Ethan cut in, “This is Kylar Perry,” he pointed to the boy who had just spoken with red hair, “this is Cameron Toyah, and this is Andrew Undermeyer.”

“Great to meet you all. Hey, Ethan, at least I didn’t run in to them,” Justine said as she walked away, winking at Ethan.

Justine barely caught Ethan starting to turn red as she turned away to go get something warmer on for the chilly weather outside. She was ready in five minutes with her coat on and favorite black boots that cut off just under her knees, gray skinny jeans, gray jacket and light blue scarf. She had pulled her hair back into a loose pony and put in small blue earrings encased by silver.

Maggs and Brea were ready about ten minutes after her. Margret was no girly girl and was more of a sporty girl. Maggs had on a yellow jacket with skinny jeans and a pair of Uggs that went half way up her calf. Brea in preppy knee length lavender coat with pale skinny jeans and wedge boots that were a musty brown that went almost to her knees and a black scarf. Ethan was wearing a simple green hoody and jeans, but, goodness, he’d look yummy anyways.

The seven of them headed toward the cafeteria. Tine was beyond thankful she had put her hair up. Had she not, it would have been in her face due to the wind. There were large clearings that, given a season change, there would be luscious green grass dotted with trees. As it was, however, the trees’ leaves were all changed because of the time of year, and the grass was so covered by leaves that Justine was unable to even see the layer of grass beneath.

****

As the group neared the cafeteria, Ethan could pick out the distinct smells of the dinner they were about to have, the soggy leaves on the ground, of snow rolling in with the northeast wind, and of Tine’s delicate perfume. The smell was intoxicating. He was purposely walking behind her so that he could continue to do so. When they got to the door, he took a few steps forward to open the door for Tine. Ethan mostly did because of his upbringing and, well, he just wanted her to notice him.

For dinner, they had the choice of pork or beef roast, or a chicken breast, with mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans. It was delicious and, as the group sat down, Kylar turned to him and asked, “Uhh, what’s her name again?”