Blood Craving

Prologue

Smoke

Smoke is what I see when I exit the corner store. It takes a moment to register in my head that a house is one fire, and that those were the fire trucks and ambulances I heard while in the store. It takes another moment to register something else.

That’s my house.

My house stands separate from other houses that’s how I know it’s mine from this far.

The bags I was carrying hit the pavement with a chorus thuds and the sound of breaking glass but I barely hear any of that. I stand there for a moment longer before running.

No. I recite in my head. No, no, no, no, no.

I run as fast as I can. Fear and adrenaline are pumping through my veins. The 2 minute walk probably not taking me much time at all, but it feels like forever.

More and more smoke pour into the air and now I can clearly see the flames. Burning bright and engulfing my home. My ankle boots pound against the pathway as I run.

I can feel them now. The emotions. My headache quickly intensifies and the pressure compresses my chest and head. Fear, determination, worry, anxiety, pity, anger, stress. My own emotions and adrenaline are what spur me on in the onslaught of others emotions.

People and vehicles are everywhere. I can hear the sounds of crackling fire and people shouting. I can also see my sister now. She is struggling against two police; a man and a woman who are trying to calm her.

But I can’t see my parents.

Where are they? Oh god where are they?

People turn and give me questioning looks as I run.

“OLIVIA! WHERE ARE THEY?! WHERE ARE MUM AND DAD?!” I yell to my sister as I get closer to her. I’m oblivious to the people around me; I know only my sister and my burning house and my need to know where my parents are.

She turns to face me with wide panicked eyes. Her clothes are covered in ash, she is a mess, but there is still something eerily beautiful about her. It takes a moment for her to register my question when she sees me. “TH-THERE STILL IN THE HOUSE! I-I, oh God!” she was sobbing at the end but I was off and running faster than ever.

I sprinted up the lawn dodging people’s attempts to grab me. Smoke and burning heat became my entire being when I made it through the front door. My jeans and tank top provide little protection. A flame flickers across my upper right arm and I scream with pain, burning embers and debris rained down on me burning, scratching and cutting at my skin but I push on.

I made it another 4 long steps yelling for my parents the whole way before strong arms wrapped around my arms and then my waist hauling me backwards despite my screams to let me go. The smoke fills my lungs making my breathing harder and my voice horse but I just yell louder.