Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

When I woke up, I fully expected to find Cole next to me, but he wasn't in the room. I got up slowly, and my knees gave way. Why couldn't I stand?

I remembered all the beatings, but surely I was able to stand. My core gave a throb and I remembered that part of the night too.

Wait, did I tell Cole everything?

I forced myself to stand up, but with each step, my legs wobbled more. Could I make it downstairs? I also had to find Cathy, say hello, then make my way home. If I stayed gone for too long, Dad would get suspicious.

There was a knock on my door.

“Come in,” I said.

Cole walked in and asked, “Where are you?”

“Here,” I replied helpfully. He cocked his head, then made his way over to me.

He was almost right in front of me when he said, “By all accounts, you should be around here,” and he reached out his hand and found my shoulder.

“How did you do that?” I asked.

“Followed your voice.”

“Oh,” was my intelligent response.

“Mel, you're shaking,” Cole said, and he was right. Every muscle in my body was fighting to keep me upright, and I didn't think they'd manage much longer.

“Yeah, I think I am,” I said. “Cole, I can't stand,” and my knees buckled. But I never hit the ground. Cole's arms were wrapped tightly around me, carrying me.

“I'm going to pick you up properly, okay?”

“Whatever,” I answered, feeling stupid. This is so embarrassing, I couldn't even stand!

Cole lifted me up and carried me bridal-style back to the bed, where he layed me down gently. “I'll get you some food.”

“No,” I said, suddenly overcome by irrational panic. “Don't leave me, please.”

Cole sat down next to me, found my cheek, and started stroking it softly, brushing over a bruise. “Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. I'll stay. What's wrong?”

“Don't tell anyone,” I begged.

A frown flitted across his features, then he lent down and whispered, “You can trust me.”

I drew in a ragged breath and said, “Sorry. I feel so stupid.”

“Why?” he asked.

“I can't even stand by myself.”

“That's completely understandable, Mel. God, you're so strong. And no one can go on forever.”

“But I need to for a little longer. I have to last three more years.”

“Sh, you have help now,” Cole whispered soothingly. His voice was husky, yet soft as velvet. I heard something in it, some feeling that I couldn't name. Maybe I'd forgotten how to recognise it, or maybe it was beyond me. But it was definitely alien, and scared me slightly.

“Cole, what are you thinking?” I asked.

“How delicate you feel,” he responded without thinking.

“Delicate? Isn't that how one would usually describe someone who is petite?” I asked.

“Yeah, I guess.”

“And you do know that I'm not petite,” I checked.

“Yeah.”

“How?” I asked. It's not like he could just look at me and see my figure.