Fancy Stripe

Stardate 79473.1

Commander O'Brian's comm badge made a high pitch chirp sound, the notification of an incoming communication.

"Bridge to O'Brian."

"Go ahead."

"We are warping into the Sol system now. We will arrive at Earth Space Dock in approximately nine minutes."

"Acknowledged."

With that, O'Brian was feeling perplexed. He was getting a brand new ship, one of the best in the entire 'Fleet, with some of the newest technologies available. But, Admiral Paris also wanted to speak with him personally. With the Admiral, it goes either way. Was he getting assigned a Deep Space mission? Would he get to pick some of his own crew?

His thoughts were again interrupted.

"Sir, we are here."

"Beam us down when ready."

At that, his body was filled with the familiar tingling sensation of the transporter beam.

They were greeted by Admiral Paris. Odd.

"Welcome to Earth Space Dock, section 9, Commander. Please, let's go to my office."

O'Brian and Thompson exchanged a look before following the Admiral into the turbo-lift and back to his office.

"Lieutenant, leave us."

Another look later and Lieutenant Thompson had left the room, leaving Commander O'Brian alone with Admiral Paris.

"Commander O'Brian, on the authority invested into me by Star Fleet Command, I hereby promote you to the rank of Captain," he said with a small smile as he replaced the Commander pip.

"Thank you, sir. What did I do to deserve this promotion?" Captain O'Brian asked.

"You've saved the Alpha Quadrant. What you did may seem insignificant, but the valuable assistance and intelligence you provided was very helpful and could've potentially prevented a full-on assault. Why do you think we are giving you the fancy ship?"

"Sir, may I go see that ship?"

"Dismissed, Captain."

He left the room with a distinct leap in his step. Lieutenant Thompson beamed.

"You knew about this, didn't you," he asked his new Trill XO.

"Of course, James. Now, let's go take a look at that ship."

"Let's."

(A/N) Vote and comment for the algorithm.