72. Thief

Under Ayuna's guidance, Shiraishi started studying and performing his assignments diligently. At their final wound cleaning, Ayuna gifted him a gold gauntlet that would ensure his gash wouldn't tear open and he could continue his training. 

Only later did Shiraishi find out that Ayuna had to surrender all of her jewelry to commission the gauntlet. When he knew, he vouched to excel, knowing she was entrusting him with her faith.

His break came when senior angels started to assign him higher-level tasks. When Shiraishi proved himself trustworthy, he became their deputy, then their peer, until he eventually re-entered the Creator's radar. 

Right away, He recognized Shiraishi to be the petty thief who once tested His sword. Amused with his improvements, the Creator decided to put this headstrong angel to the test.

Shortly after, the Creator started giving Shiraishi direct orders and he succeeded every time, accumulating accomplishments like metaphorical trophies. With each win, he climbed further up the ranks until he began to lead other angels. Combining his glowing achievements with his robbery tale, Shiraishi became a legend in the Garden.

Throughout his rise to power, Shiraishi stayed humble. Deep down, he knew no matter how much admiration he received or how much fortune was bestowed upon him, he owed it all to one person: none of this glory would exist without Saga Ayuna.

***

"You're like my left hand now, Alex," the Creator said at the end of a long, silent walk. 

It was a particularly peaceful afternoon as they strolled around. The Garden was deserted because it was Masa Masayuki's millennial birthday and festivities were held off-site. With everyone away at the celebration, the Garden was quiet like a neatly manicured ruin. 

Shiraishi stopped. "Alex?"

"It's your new name," the Creator said with a warm smile. "From today on, you'll be my other archangel. Together, you and Felix will be my left and right hand."

Shiraishi was stunned: not only was he the first to learn the name of the blue-eyed archangel, but he would also have an equivalent standing. 

"But I thought there can only be one archangel," uttered Shiraishi at last.

"Then it's a good thing I make the rules, don't you think?"

Still overcome with emotions, Shiraishi couldn't speak.

"You don't believe me?"

"Of course I do—"

"I hope what comes next is acceptance."

"Yes," Shiraishi knelt down. "Yes. I accept this honor."

The Creator told him to rise up. "Because of Masayuki's festivities, we will have your inauguration next week. Meanwhile, you can take this as proof."

They'd stopped in front of the weaponry vault. Unlocking it, the Creator withdrew the midlength sword that nearly crippled him years ago. "Do you remember this?"

Shiraishi held up his bandaged arm. "How can I forget?"

The Creator smiled gently and nudged the sword towards his bandaged hand. "Now it belongs to you. You've earned the right to own it."

Shiraishi accepted this gift with both hands and thanked the Creator for blessing him with this prestige. His legs were shaking: he had come a full circle.