Chapter Seven

December, 1468

Days soon turned to weeks, and weeks into months. During this time, Richard had grown into himself. At seventeen, he now stood inches above his ward and spent his free time hunting, wrestling, and fighting. Francis was more than happy to participate in the events the young duke planned. With the changes physically, Richard began acting slightly cockier. He thrived in an environment without his brothers, where he wasn't looked upon as a child. He was not quite as reserved, showing his playful side. Katy took notice to his confidence and how he had physically changed. Richard took notice to the attention she gave him and how she changed just as much as he had. Richard and Katy were always chaperoned, mostly by Francis and Anne. Jane mostly lurked, looking for Katy to make a mistake. She continually kept the Earl of Warwick up to date on everything they did, only there was nothing to report.

At this moment there was hardly time for Katy to have any time to herself. Richard's family was due at Sudeley for the Christmas celebration. The King, Queen, the princesses, George, the Queen Mother, Lord Warwick, and his family were due to arrive tomorrow. Katy knew very well this was her test, to see how she could handle large households. She sat alone looking at the dishes the cook wished to prepare. Venison, goose, and boar filled the list, along with different wines.

"Lady Kathryn," Richard called sitting next to her, "I think we should shoot today," he whispered in her ear.

"I don't have time for your games today, your Grace," she spoke calmly, mimicking his formality. "Your family is due tomorrow and I have not prepared enough." Richard looked over her shoulder at the parchment.

"Katy, look at me." Katy's eyes kept glued, scanning every word. "You've been preparing for this for weeks. Everything will go as planned." He lightly turned her face towards him. His thumb caressed her cheek and slowly ran over her soft lips, separating them slightly. Richard leaned in slowly, Katy turned her head away from him. He chuckled and sat back again.

"You know we can't," she whispered.

"But we can shoot." He flashed a quick smile. "I'll have Morgan ready." He stood up and bowed to her, "Milady," he said kissing her hand. Katy stood up after him and sighed, meeting Anne in the corridor.

~

 "He may ask the King to marry you," Anne spoke helping Katy into her riding clothes.

"That wasn't the agreement I made. 'An Irish Lord deserves an Irish Lady,'" Katy quoted Edward. "I do not believe the King meant a distant lord, but one in Ireland. How would I be used to help keep loyalty to the crown if I am not present? A foreign princess is a better match for him. One who could provide stability and allies for him," Katy spoke bluntly. "I have nothing to offer him."

"You have more than you'll ever know," she reassured. Katy and Anne began walking towards the stable. In the gardens she spotted Jane on the balcony, watching her every move. Richard quickly helped Katy to mount and quickly jumped onto Gawain. Morgan stomped her foot on the ground, seeming more agitated than usual. Katy touched her neck lightly and whispered to the mare, trying to calm her. The four rode into the open fields, where targets had been set up.

"Ladies first," Francis taunted, handing Katy the bow and an arrow. She touched Morgan's neck again, still feeling her tense.

"It's going to be alright, girl." Katy looked back at Richard, who seemed to be struggling with Gawain as well. "First to three?" She questioned looking at the target.

"Yes." Katy dug her heels into Morgan, who took off running. She enjoyed the speed this sport allowed her. Katy used her legs to keep herself upright. She outstretched the bow and quickly let it go, feeling the slight burn on her forearm. The arrow dug into the center and Katy turned around smiling. Morgan trotted back to the group, changing her gait in front of Gawain.