The Facility

ALICE

“Run Alice! ” says Luke. I jump up as quickly as I can. They’re back The Facility guards are coming they have huge rifles aimed at us. Luke grabs my arm and we both start sprinting as fast as we can, dodging trees and jumping over rocks. We’ve been on the run for about two weeks now. It’s pitch black and the only thing that keeps us seeing in front of us are the guard’s flashlights aimed at us. We had barely escaped and it was not by any means easy. Luke had to stitch my side up by hand and I could still feel my heart pounding where I had been cut getting over the barbed wire fence. I pulled my gun out of my belt and decided to shoot at them twice leaving me with only four more bullets. Luckily I hit the one that was the closest to us. Some of the guards starting making a circle around the wounded man picking him up and propping his body up against a tree. My breathing started to quicken and I could tell that we wouldn’t be able to run much longer. At least ten of the guards were gaining on us, but I know that we can never go back I would rather die.

************************************************************************

            Okay, you are probably wondering what the hell The Facility is and why it’s so bad. The Facility was started about forty years ago; they are our new government. They provide us all the clothes, food, water, and housing we need. We have no way to get anywhere because we are not allowed to the leave the building of The Facility. There are millions of buildings all over that were built by The Facility. They control everything. You step one foot out of line you are sent to a place that’s pretty much a dungeon, but slightly cleaner The Facility members call it Rehab for the Rebellious Center. People that go to there are never the same they almost seem like robots. The most rebellious people that are sent there for instance Luke and me get put on medication. If you are smart you find ways to pretend to take it and hide the pills.

            Luke and I met each other when we were really young around five or six so we were already really good friends. Our families were in an “accident” last year when we were sent to the Rehab for the Rebellious Center. The buildings that we lived in burned down. The Facility members said that the oven started it, but here’s the thing the floor our building is in didn’t have ovens. We had always used the floor level above ours. Luke and I have been on our own ever since we take care of each other and the one survivor from the fire my little sister Cathleen who was four-years-old. Then things started getting really bad the population of people in the facility grew so they selected one person from each floor daily to be “upgraded”. You get to go up to the top level of The Facility where the members are. They say that you have earned a job, but Luke and I went in to spy and found that they really give you a lethal injection to kill you.

            So that’s most of the background information. Luke and I decided to run away because I was selected to be “upgraded” and I wasn’t really in the dying mood. We grabbed Cathleen and ran. As we were going over the fence I got to the top and Luke handed me Cathleen. The guards were coming fast and they were shooting at us. Cathleen was crying and I was trying to shield her the best I could, but one of the bullets……. I held her in my arms and just screamed and cried I couldn’t do anything and I was too late the deed had already been done. I kept trying to rock her as if she was asleep and I fell over the edge of the fence and cut myself at the bottom where it was lined with barbed wire.

            Luke jumped over and wanted to comfort me, but we had to keep running. He grabbed Cathleen from me and set her down. He grabbed my arm and dragged me to keep going. We lost the guards and hid for a while. Luke stitched up my side and I kept crying over Cathleen for days and days. I had been so happy that I had one family member that had survived and they had to take her from me too it wasn’t fair. I will shut down The Facility if it it’s the last thing I do.