Sharing Is Caring

When I come to, I am back in my bed in Room 4. My head throbs a little, but it is slowly getting back to normal, I think. Soon the red clumps in my hair will be a more noticeable reminder of my injury than the ever-present drumming inside my head. I sit up, without too much difficulty, and my card beeps. It displays our series of numbers, from one to thirty, in six groups, with a play button at the head of each. My number is grouped with 1, 10, 18 and 23, and when I press the play button I watch from birds-eye-view as our group runs through the Test. The blonde boy, 23, gets hit by 1 and the two girls meet me in the middle. The circle seals and 1 falls to his doom. And the clip ends.

With haste, I watch the other 5 clips: we were divided into groups of 5. It looks like the majority of us made it through this Test, and I watch as first Kohren and Nixa, Gley, and then Talia, Serena and Grego all manage to survive their groups. A few Subjects do fall off the edge, which is pretty difficult to watch.

The last clip I see is a group containing Wyst, Violet and the numbers of the Subjects we never found: 5, 25 and 26. Only Wyst and Violet appear on the clip, although Violet is already on the ground at the start. Why doesn't she get up? Is she even breathing? Wyst makes it to the middle fairly easily, and when the light flashes, she doesn't even see as Violet's body falls as a chunk of ground beneath her breaks off. Wyst wins alone.

After another wash, I head back downstairs to check my cupboard. A few Subjects are milling around already, but no one is saying anything. As expected, my food supplies have changed a lot. Under the areas where the "swap" sign used to be, I find a somewhat random assortment of foods I must have gained from the boy I swapped with. Instead of the lunch I had planned out, I opt for a blueberry muffin, and gradually take it apart as the kitchen fills and everyone takes their seats. A few people are talking, and I exchange a few comments with Talia, who's eyes are red rimmed and puffy. It looks like I am not the only one that handled the situation poorly.

Once everyone is at the table, our cards light up again. From this position, we can clearly see that the number of us is beginning to dwindle. There are now eight empty seats at the table, leaving twenty-two of us left to play. 3 still sits at my left, but there are now two empty seats to my right, a gaping space that Violet briefly filled. I look up, and by the look on some of the others' faces, I am not the only one that is aware of this.

My thoughts are interrupted by a light beeping sound: another alert from our cards. The sound of light chatter dies immediately as we rush to see what the alert means. I open it and it reads:

"My dear Subjects, 

Well done for passing your first Test. You may be wondering what purpose it held, and I am happy to explain this to you.

In today's society, violent or aggressive behaviour is not tolerated, even in stressful circumstances. As you might have seen, those that engaged in this response did not pass the Test and are not seated with you now. 

Also, as in the real world, we cannot guarantee your survival. Therefore if you are affected by violence we cannot help you: it is your responsibility - not ours - to ensure you do not put yourself in situations where you may be at risk. However, self-defence is allowed.

Although we support co-operation, remember you are fighting for your place in society, and no-one else's, hence why you cannot share food. 

Stay focused, and remember that with each Test you succeed in, you get closer to freedom. I want this for you all.

Love, 

Tester A."

"Well that explains a lot." mutters Talia, interrupting the silence.

"It's nice to know we're safe here." I reply sarcastically.

Talia's about to respond when Selena decides to take charge again - she clears her throat before uttering, loudly and clearly: "So, I'm guessing you have all seen the videos."

There are some murmurs of assent.

"Okay, so I've noticed that the cupboards from the Subjects that have, um, lost are open. I think we should divide the food up between us."

"Can you read? We were just told we can't share food, idiot." Wyst spits. I'm taken aback by her tone, and from the shock written over Selena's face, she is too.

Wyst smirks. "You want to risk it?"

Selena's face sets into cold fury.

"Maybe you should."

Before the conversation could get any more heated, our cards all beeped at once. This time, a notification filled the screen: "THE DEAD CAN'T EAT. DIVIDE THE FOOD AMONG THE SURVIVORS FROM THEIR GROUP OR WE TAKE IT".

"I guess that settles it then." Ko jumps in, trying to break up the spat.

Wyst stands up and begins filling her cupboard with her dead group's food, all the while smirking at Selena. She struts out before the rest of us move.

As no one died in two groups, ten Subjects follow her, to eat lunch outside. The rest of us divide back into our groups, and after raiding both 1's and 23's (that turned out to be the blonde boy's number) cupboards, we split the food into two piles: long and short life food.

"Um, okay, is there anything here that you don't recognise? I guess it is best we stay away from things we are unfamiliar with." says 18.

I respond first. "Everything here looks familiar to me, but if I'm honest I can't remember either of your names. Can you remind me?"

The pale girl speaks up. "I'm Spence."

"My name is Rhendra." The girl from Room 18 has a deep voice, but at the same time its soft. It reminds me of a lullaby.

"Alright, lets divide this up then. Oh, and I'm Lisa."

"How do you think we were put into groups?" questions Spence.

"No clue, and I don't think it is something we can guess at." replies Rhendra, dismissing the unanswered question.

"Well, I'd be happy to be in this group again." Spence states, then produces an embarrassed, lopsided grin. She then scurries off to put her newfound food away.

"Weird girl." Rhendra mutters under her breath, but she's also smiling. Then she looks up at me, realising that I had heard. "Oh sorry", she grins. "I forget I'm not by myself anymore. I used to speak out loud to pass the time." With that, she scoops up her food in one arm and thumps off to her cupboard. 

As I put away my goods, I steal glances at the rest of the Subjects. Spence had already left the kitchen, leaving Rhendra, Talia, Selena, Glenn, 13, and me. Rhendra towered over everyone else in the room. How had I not noticed her before? It felt like the first time I'd seen her was in that Test. I kick myself for not paying attention. These are people that, as I've seen, could turn against me at any moment. I need to get to know them, at least from a distance. 

I don't want to be next.