Into the Fray

By the time we caught up with Steve, he had already reached the Colonel's tent. I huffed as I straightened on Steve's left, Peggy on his right. When I looked around, I didn't see Howard. He must've stayed outside rather than involving himself in a messy situation. Typical of him.

     "Well, if it isn't the Star-Spangled Man with a plan, what is your plan today?" Phillips greeted dismissively, clearly not interested in the proceedings, and continued signing some papers as he sat behind his desk.

     Steve didn't seem to be bothered by his tone as he spoke loud and clear, "I need the casualty list from Azzano."

     The Colonel looked up at him with a serious face. "You don't get to give me orders."

     "I just need one name, Sergeant James Barnes from the 107th," Steve insisted. I flinched at the sound of the name slipping from the blonde's lips. I'd sometimes forget about their deep friendship and think of James as mine, and my acquaintance alone.

     Phillips sternly looked in my direction. Knowing I was involved with Barnes, he'd naturally assume I was the one to tell Steve about his recent disappearance. "You and I are gonna have a conversation later that you won't enjoy."

     I stood my ground but kept my mouth shut; it was not the right moment to oppose the Colonel's word. I noticed Peggy mouthing an apology in my direction as I took the critic which should've been hers.

     "Please tell me if he's alive, sir," Steve desperately interrupted. "B-A-R-"

     "I can spell," Phillips broke off his sentence and sighed. Even he could see that James meant a lot to Steve. I wasn't the only one who had an issue with sitting around when we were able to help our friend. If anything, Steve probably wanted to rescue James more than I did, they shared a bond only developed over years of friendship. "I've signed more of these condolence letters today than I'd care to count, but the name does sound familiar." He turned back to us, "I'm sorry."

     Hearing it from the Colonel just confirmed my suspicions that James may, indeed, have passed on the battlefield, and it hurt. We didn't have much of a chance to get to know each other, but I considered him one of the most important people in my life. I looked forward to getting to know him better and enjoy more of his company. I wouldn't bear to lose him so soon.

     "What about the others? Are you planning a rescue mission?" Steve suddenly spoke, startling me and Peggy, who both thought he would stand down with the questions.

     "Yes, it's called 'winning the war,'" Phillips crossed his arms on his chest. The pose made him look confident, but the expression on his face showed otherwise; concern about what he claimed reflected clearly. It was hard to predict the outcome of the war, and the unexpected technological advantages were making us warier of an unfavourable outcome.

     "But if you know where they are, why not just—"

     "Steve, no." I nudged his shoulder as I whispered, "You won't get anywhere with him."

     Phillips scoffed. "You should listen to her. The unit is 30 miles behind the lines through some of the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men than we'd save, but I don't expect you to understand that because you're a chorus girl."

     "I think I understand just fine," Steve returned the deadly gaze.

     "Well, then understand it somewhere else," he stated before walking past Steve and sitting back at the desk. "If I read the posters correctly, you have somewhere to be in 30 minutes."

     Steve didn't move. He instead simply gazed onwards. His eyes were fixed on the map plastered on a wall in the back. The route of the 107th was still clearly marked on it from when we were strategizing. I had it memorized perfectly; I was the one that was in charge of marking it, despite knowing it wouldn't bring success.