Chapter 2

I'd been working on my project for hours with no break when I hear footsteps on the stairs. I panic, realizing I'm pretty sure I forgot to lock the door behind Shane, Mari, and Braiden when they left.

I run to the corner of the basement next to the television and door and pick up one of Shane's baseball bats. Creeping over to the stairs I realize no one is on them. But the door is open, and I definitely closed it. 

When I'm up the stairs I decide to head for the kitchen, I kind of wanted a knife to carry too. When I round the corner I see someone at the counter and scream as they get ready to turn in the dark.

Braiden's eyes widen and grab the bat just in time as I scream.

"Fuck Brooklyn! It's just me!"

I drop the bat as he does and he wraps his arms around me, "You scared the living day lights out of me Braiden. I heard someone and I realized I forgot to lock the door when you guys left."

He pulls back and cups my chin, "What made you come down the hallway instead of checking to see if the door was locked?"

I frown, "I was going to get a knife for protection."

He sighs and shakes his head picking up the bat after pulling away, "Someone could turn a knife on you Brooklyn. Never grab a knife unless it's a dire situation. You got that?"

I nod and take the bat back, as I move to the fridge, "Yeah, I got it."

As I pull out a coke I say, "Why are you here?"

He raises an eyebrow, "You were the Brook standing in the kitchen earlier right?"

I roll my eyes, "I mean why are you back from the party so early?"

He shrugs, "Wasn't feeling it."

I nod, "So was that you on the stairs? I left the door to the basement closed."

He nods as he leans on the counter next to me, "It was. I was checking on you, I was going to bring you food seeing as you looked like you hadn't moved in hours." 

I frown, "Oh...that's uncharacteristically nice of you."

He mirrors my frown, "You and I were once friends Brooklyn."

"Yeah, and you've talked to me more today than you have altogether in six years."

He presses his lips together and nods, "It's complicated Brook."

I narrow my eyes, "Don't call me that."

He sighs and watches me silently as I pick up my coke and head for the basement. 

About twenty minutes later I hear footsteps on the stairs again, I don't bother looking up. Instead I keep my eyes focused on my project. When I notice someone sit down on the floor next to me I look over. Braiden eyes my project, "It's really good."

I sigh, "Thanks."

He holds out a pack of Ritz crackers to me and I take one as he opens the jar of peanut butter. He hands me a knife as we spread peanut butter on them. Then he opens the bottle of Hershey's syrup.

"I can't believe you remember these."

He grins, "They're your favorite snack, and they just happen to be mine."

We take turns, covering crackers in peanut butter and putting a dot of chocolate syrup on them. After about six crackers I steal the knife and lick it clean. He frowns at me, "What if I wanted some of that?"

I give him my best smile and bat my eyelashes, "Well then I guess you'd be out of luck."

He rolls his eyes at me as I stand up to go look for more popsicle sticks. What I find in the walmart bag is nothing. My heart drops and I turn to look at Braiden.