--18--

Emi’s POV

I smiled looking into Yuya’s room. He’s sound asleep, that’s good. He must have had fun. I was careful as I closed his door, trying not to make a noise as I headed to the living area. “That kid,” I hummed to myself. Then I broke, thinking back to my conversation with Yuto.

“V-vampire?” Yuto stuttered, waving his hands about. “Non-sense what would make you-”

“Give up Yuto,” Ray snapped walking into the room and sitting beside me. “We can’t hide it forever.”

I looked Yuto dead in the eyes and he sighed in defeat. He nodded and honestly, I wasn’t shocked. After the attack, I had begun to work it out. I never thought I would be right though. “Tell me, have you done anything to Yuya?” I asked sternly, my eyes not leaving his.

“I would never do that,” He slammed the table. “I have more self-control then that.”

“Yuto, remain calm,” Ray snapped. “Emi, we didn’t mean to hide anything from you but it’s not news that people exactly take well.”

“I understand that,” I sighed. “I mean it’s not like you’ve done anything to hurt us so I'm not angry. But I am annoyed that I wasn’t told sooner. I understand why this is a late-night café now.” I laughed to myself as realisation hit me. “All I want to ask, is why you guys don’t seem affected by sunlight and you’re not as pale as I expected.”

“I can explain that,” Yuto stated.

And he did. He told me that the vampires in this town are special. All the younger generation have some human heritage which means they look more so like humans and less like traditional vampires. Something about a human gene can be superior. Yuto’s father, he was a human from hundreds of years ago. Hundreds of years? The number went through my mind. He's so old but he doesn’t seem like he’s going to hurt Yuya.

I buried my head in my hands continuing to cry. I just want a normal life for Yuya. I want him to grow up a normal kid and have the life I couldn’t. I gave up my dreams of college, got a job and I took responsibility for him. My uncle and aunt saw us as nothing but a burden and we have no other family.

I thought this town was our new beginning but, but our friends are vampires? They aren't like us and we’ve been attacked too. Are you safe here? Ray, she’s become my rock and Lulu has helped me feel a part of a community but is it all a lie? “Mama, papa,” I hiccupped. “What can I do?”

---

Why is there a pain in my back? I groaned sitting up, looking around. I fell asleep on the couch? I laughed, idiot. You’d only make Yuya worry if you start doing that. My attention turned to the window. The sun is coming up, huh?

I yawned, getting up and heading to the fridge. I need food. I opened it up and my eye twitched at the sight of an empty unit. Crap, when was the last time I went shopping? I groaned, if I go early, I can grab some deals on meat and make something nice for breakfast.

As I started planning my morning, a knock came at the door. I wonder who that is. I looked through the key hole, Heba? I unlocked the door opening it. “Good morning Miss Heba,” I greeted.

“Morning Emi,” She smiled. “I just wanted to make sure you’re okay, Yuto told me everything.” I jumped a bit, stepping into the hallway and pulling the door to. I shouldn’t be surprised about Yuto telling his mother. “I understand that the news is shocking but I want to assure you, we only want to look after you and Yuya. We mean no trouble to come to you.”

I sighed, “It’s just a lot to take in at the moment.”

“I understand,” Heba took my hand. Her skin, it’s so cold. Oh right, she doesn’t have human heritage. “But I hope the memories you have with your friends outweigh any fear you have. I also hope you know not matter what, Yuto will protect Yuya.”

I was silent for a while. It must have taken her a lot of courage to come see me like this. I smiled at her embracing her into a tight hug. “I know you wouldn’t hurt us,” I assured feeling her hug me back. “Thank you for coming to talk to me.”

----

AN

This is most likely my last update for a while as I'll be on holiday from Friday!

A lot is planned for this so see you all soon!