Chapter 2: Alura

𝕼𝖚𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝕬𝖑𝖚𝖗𝖆

The Queen took her time spilling what she wanted to discuss with her son, she enjoyed the warmth of the sun instead; knowing soon the night would come and blankets would be ordered to her large bed. They would keep her warm from the mountains letting their snow drift off their peaks and down through her stained glass windows but she wished it stayed warm so she could walk through her garden to let off steam every day.

"Why did you call for me mother?" Nikolai asked looking around at the guards that stood at all entrances. He could never get used to the extra eyes and ears that were always around, it didn't seem to bother the Queen however.

"I caught wind of disappointing news." She finally answered stopping at the balcony and looking out at the city scapes. It was built with the same materials of clay and wood which somehow warped to make every house visible seem unkept and dirty compared to her home.

"Gossiping mouths can never be trusted." The young prince knew what she was about to say.

"My gossiping mouths can always be trusted." Her aquamarine eyes turned to the young boy. "You know they will follow so why do you continue?"

"I am eighteen mother." He became exhasperated as he grabbed onto the railing and licked his chapped lips. "Most men my age are fighting and working and I'm still looked at as a child."

His mother didn't interrupt but waited until he was completely done before responding. "You are not a child anymore Nikolai."

"Then why does going to a whore house cause you to look down on me?"

"Do not forget the difference between a man and a king." Her body turned to face the boy who immediately let his head fall to avoid her gaze. He took the chance to study the riches that decorated her long fingers as she let them dance across the marbled railing. The colors that reflected light into his pupils making him squeeze his eyes tightly. In front of anyone else he felt like royalty but in front of his mother he felt nothing but submission.

"Kings indulge mother."

"Normal Kings do but you are not normal Nikolai." She never forced his head up as she dusted dried mud off of his shoulder. "Our blood can not mix with that of commoners. You know this." Pausing she thought carefully about what to say next. "If I expect such things out of you I know it's only fair to give you responsibilities."

Furrowing his eyebrows, Nikolai looked up to study his mothers face; he could never tell how serious she was because her expression never changed. He swore a smile came from her as frequently as a fish breathing air happened. "What responsibilities mother?"

"Marriage."

He was disappointed but not surprised. Their blood line was left in his hands and the importance of his bearing children was taught to him from a young age. There couldn't be much more delay in fear something dreadful would happen. Marriage wasn't something that spoke to him but he liked the idea of being more respected. He could still do whatever he wanted he was well aware of that, but it was certainly a positive thought of a princess around his shoulder making him look more equipped for the job he was bound to have. Who would look at him like he was a child if he took a wife? "Who's the lucky girl?"

The Queen didn't show her displeasure with his answer but she held her tongue for a few seconds. "The council will decide tonight."

He let his own tongue slip out of his mouth and lick his lips again before leaning back on the rail and studying the guard by the wall. "A princess..." he whispered out loud making himself aware of his situation. Someone who was probably far greater than any whore he spat on in the brothels.