Apocalypse Dreams: The New World

... Nothing makes sense in this senseless world, but we can try to make our own sense of it.

"It's either me or him, Jack," I persisted while glaring right through his soul.

"I... don't know," Jack Brannigan hesitantly responded.

"I'll let you use any weapon attachment?" Red insisted.

The question initiated silence from the crew as the ball was tossed to Jack's court. He seemed to be highly troubled with the fact that he had to choose between his two closest friends. Even if he had decided upon the idea of choosing between us, it would upset him to even think such a thought. Therefore, I concluded that he would definitely let the timer run out on this one.

"Look," Red started speaking slowly. "I know this is tough, but it's hard on us too so I will make this easier... Paul is literally the weakest one here."

"Um, I've actually been practicing," I chimed in quietly.

"Even with all the practice in the world, you know he has a slow reaction time. Slow reaction time equals death, which means...we lose," he interrupted.

Red became very persistent at this point even though he tried to be nonchalant about it as he raised his right eyebrow just a smidge to rub off some of that charm upon Brannigan, who could easily be wooed by a kitten. His blue eyes locked onto Jack's hazel colored ones. "It's just simple math here bud, but it's 100 percent not helping your pal here at all."

This is the moment he sighed and looked down at the hardwood floor. This was a strategy he often used to manipulate the person whom he was speaking with at that particular moment, to show pity. Red always had Jack fooled quite easily due to Jack's naivety, however, I could detect the illusion from a mile away. This was one of those moments I cherished though. The moments of communication between the crew seemed to be lacking lately, which to me, made this a beautiful sight and I hoped for this feeling of closeness to never end.

"Well, he sort of does have a point," Jack interrupted my thought process.

"Awesome," I said sarcastically.

At this point, I did not care at all and whatever happened from this point on did not irk me one bit. I knew this would be one of my last moments together with them. After this moment, I knew that nothing was ever going to be the same. Jack always saw me as a pessimist but that was only on the outside.

"Hmm... but let me counter these points," I started speaking calmly as I got up out of the chair and proceeded to look outside the window. "What this world has taught me is that I have to survive at any cost and I will always do whatever I can to survive. I always saw myself as a warrior and when it comes down to it, I will do whatever it takes, even if it means a sacrifice or me defending myself."

Jack was moved by the courageous display; he looked at me with his glossy eyes. He proceeded to grab a piece of small potato chip from the table across from him and eat it. After the first modest attempt at the chip, he grabbed a handful and began to chow down on them. Small particles of chips began raining down his lips and landed on his massively obese pectorals.

The attempt at regaining my honor was not to convince Jack of anything, it was just an attempt to look outside the window for one last time. To look at the massive maple trees from across this house and ponder on the wonderful view that felt very surreal. This would be the last time in which I would see the only three-story house straight across from my house. The teal-colored house had a nice glow, and to me, it represented hope.

It had been the biggest house that I ever saw and what got me excited was seeing the young German Shepherd dog chained outside the garage. Even with his fierce look and his aggressive stance, his light brownish color made him appear nicer than he was. He would attempt to bite anyone that stared at his owner for more than a few minutes. He was very protective of Mr. Fletcher, especially since he was in his old age. Regardless of the dog, this was the most peaceful neighborhood that I had ever seen.