VIII. Like Single Wheels

"Will!" A familiar, swallow-like voice sung, doe eyes wide and happy. Next to her, a complacent Ben sat with unmistakable navy eyes and shaggy brown-black hair. He sat back and chewed gum, Lana abandoning her picture-perfect swirl of watermelon fro-yo adorned with sprinkles and bright candies for Will.

"Lana, h-hi," Will nervously sputtered out as she hugged him tight, stumbling back a step. Ben's eyes met my own and he smirked, giving a small wave as he chewed. I didn't know what to feel more sick over: Ben, or Lana throwing herself onto my best friend.

"And Harley!' Lana added, pulling away from Will and giving me a toothy smile. I didn't move a muscle in my face, and her smile fell exponentially. "It's, it's nice to see you." Her hot chocolate hair fell in front of her face and she put it behind her ear nervously, not quite sure how to take the combination of shock and perhaps contempt on my face. I wasn't sure what I was conveying. It was like life had thrown a branch in my path while skiing and I had been clotheslined.

"You two know each other?" Will asked, playing with his hands, trying to stay cool and collected. Oh god, but that girl put him into puddles. There was no mistaking that, not after seeing puppy dog crush Alexis Fairview freshman year. The crush-radar was pratically writhing in my head.

"We've met in passing," Lana sweetly responded, delicate hand resting on Will's arm. He stared at it like an alien insect had latched onto him while Lana turned to me. "Would you guys like to sit with us?"

I glanced over at Ben who was busy messing with his pack of cinnamon 5 gum, shaking a stick out, then back in, staring off nowhere in particular. His dark brows furrowed and then unfurrowed, and I addressed Lana again with a careful glare. "Why not?"

I walked past her and sat down before Ben, giving me a glimpse for recognition and mumbled, "Hey."

I opened my mouth to ridicule, but Lana and Will settled into their own seats, laughing lightly. Will's leg shook under the table out of the corner of my eye and his hands stayed in his lap, wringing together nervously. Oh god. Oh god, I was going to puke.

"Will, this is Ben," Lana said, setting her hand on Ben's shoulder now.

Ben stopped messing with his gum and held out his hand to Will politely, gum stashed away in his plain black and white varsity jacket pocket. "Nice to meet you."

Will took it, partially surprised, and then shook more firmly and leaned forward. "Whoa, are your eyes really that blue?" he asked.

"Yep," Ben said, leaning back and sticking his hands in his jacket pocket. A sly smile spread across his face. "Genetics were kind to me in that aspect."

I stifled my scoff as I pulled out my phone, mindlessly leafing through apps. What a little piece of no-good, rotten, egotistical--

"Hey Harley, I'm going up. Wanna come?" Will asked, standing up hastily and gesturing to the machines.

I dug out my share of money and held it out to him. "Surprise me today. Mystery Monday."

He gave me a knowing smile. "Got it, cap'n."

As soon as Will was out of earshot, I set my fists on the table and leaned forward, voice growling. "What the hell are you guys trying to pull?"

Ben laughed. "This was purely coincidence." He nodded to Lana. "White girl here wanted yogurt and made me come along."

"Oh! Let me rephrase the question," I said with as much sass as possible, locking eyes on Lana's. "What the hell are you trying to pull?"

She shrunk in her seat and her hands flew up again, shaking nervously. "I-I thought I--"