leave.

"So why don't you just go?" He barked, turning around so that his back faced me. "If you hate me so much then just leave."

I shook my head. "I never said I hated you."

"Well, it was implied."

"Jake, I didn't mean to-"

"Leave."

So I ran. I ran away from the tired, worn down house, away from the horses and the goats and the chickens that wandered around aimlessly all day. Away from the old rusty truck sitting in the driveway. I ran from everything, and eventually, I dropped. I sat down on the side of the road and cried.

After at least half an hour, a black pickup truck stopped on the road, and as the window lowered I could see a guy, probably in his mid twenties, maybe younger, sitting in the driver's seat with a red flannel and a cowboy hat on. "You alright, darlin'?" He asked. He had a bit of a rough voice, but a friendly face.

I wiped my tears and took a deep breath. "I don't think so," I told him, my voice quivering as I stared at my knees.

"You waiting for someone?"

"No. I don't really have... anyone."

He nods. "I can help you. You can hop in if you'd like, I won't hurt you."

I was skeptical, but I figured sooner or later I'd have to get out of here somehow, so I stood up, wiped the dirt off of myself, and got into the truck.

He smiled warmly. "So, you live 'round here?"

I had to think about that. "If you would've asked me yesterday, I would've said yes, but I guess I don't really live anywhere anymore."

His head cocked. "Well, what are we gonna do with you?" He asked teasingly.

I shrugged. "I'm in quite the pickle."

He smiled once again. "The name's Kyle, by the way. What's yours?"
"I'm Julia."

"Well, Julia, how'd such a sweet, pretty girl like yourself get into a mess like this? "

"It's quite a long story," I told him.

"I got time," he looked over to me with a smile, one eyebrow cocked. "Go 'head."