Chapter 6 - A Small Moment

- 10:35 am.

Dib arrived at Zim's house and knocked on the door. He was trying to ignore the snow in his boots. Zim jumped up and ran to the door, but made a full stop near it. He then walked the rest of the way casually to play off the fact that he ran. He opened the door and  glared at Dib, but it seemed rather off guard.

"Worm, what are you doing here??" Zim asked.

"H-Huh?..."

Zim deadpanned. Dib was thrown off by Zim's greeting.

"Dib, it's the 15th," Zim quietly reminded, "We don't have to be nice to each other anymore..."

"Oh... right..." Dib scratched under his beanie, "We agreed on that rather late..."

Zim folded his arms. The smell of bacon and eggs had just reached the door. Dib's stomach growled, which Zim heard.

"I guess you're right... Hence we shall enact it again for today...just this once... Why are you here?"

"I'm here to just...." Dib paused, "I don't know... I just came here. Gaz said it was a good idea."

"....Come inside..." Zim said.

Dib was led to the kitchen and saw Gir holding two plates with excessive amounts of eggs and bacon. Zim deadpanned and sat at the table. He pulled out the newspaper and looked at it. Gir had made Dib a plate and placed it in front of him. Dib was kinda afraid to accept the food, but he was hungry regardless and ate some of it.

He glanced at Zim, noticing that his eyes were moving all around rather than in lines, "Do you even understand what's happening on that paper?" Dib asked.

"Why does it matter?..." Zim replied.

Dib went silent. He glanced at Gir munching away at the bacon first.

"How is he able to eat?"

Zim ignored his question and continued to "read" the paper. Dib got the message to focus, "Okay..." Dib started, "Due to all this, I got curious about a few things, and..."

"Dib..." Zim interrupted, "You gave me a Valentine's Day gift. Either you're desperate to celebrate the holiday, or you like me... and we both already know it's the ladder..."

"Hey! I-"

......

Dib gave up midway and rested his head on his arms. Zim glanced over at him and sighed. He placed the newspaper on Gir's head and stood up. He walked over to Dib and gently tugged on his collar. Dib raised his head up a little.

"....One day a year...." Zim reminded, "On Valentine's day, we take our break... I won't plan anything on that day, and you won't research. Neither one of us can cheat..."

"And how do I know I can trust you not to?..." Dib asked.

"Well, what's one day going to do realistically?" Zim asked, "I can go one day without planning, then be back to it the next day... So. No enemy stuff on Valentine's day... I promise..."

They both fell silent, then looked at each other. Dib walked over near Zim.

"So... now what?...." Dib asked.

"....I guess you can leave now..." Zim said.

Dib nodded, feeling that he's been here long enough and headed for the door. Zim followed him so that he could close the door behind him. When Dib was outside the door, he paused and turned around. Zim froze at the stare Dib gave him, feeling an odd wave go through his body.

He knew that Dib had strong eyes, which is why he often avoided staring as much as possible. His eyes widened when he saw Dib walked over toward him. Dib kissed him on the cheek and held there for a few seconds before letting him go. He then turned away and walked off.

Zim placed a hand to his cheek and watched him leave confused. His face was slightly burning, but not from the kiss. He hesitantly closed the door and headed to the couch. Gir sat next to him and started kicking his little feet.

"I knew that luck would rub off," Gir said and smiled. Zim didn't reply. He wanted to get angry, but couldn't. However, he couldn't ignore it either. Meanwhile, Dib was staring in horror as he walked home, believing that Zim would want to kill him later.

________________________________________________________

- 11 am.

Dib made it home from Zim's house and saw Gaz playing video games. All the curtains were closed so that no light could get in. Gaz looked up and saw how red his face was.

".....What did you do?..."

"I... don't want to talk about it..." Dib responded, "All I know is that I guess I have breaks on Valentine's Day now..."

He headed up the stairs to isolate himself in his room. Gaz paused her game and stood up. She paced around in a circle.

"They have to get together..." she started off, "I just need him out of the house as much as possible...THINK..."

She sat back down on the couch, "How do I make sure that they get together one day and finally LEAAAVE?..." Gaz asked herself.

Just like that, an idea clicked in her head. It was simple, but could work well. She went to her room to write some stuff down. Meanwhile, Gir was sitting on the couch watching TV with Zim still. He looked at Zim and smiled.

"Daaw. That was sweet," Gir said. Zim groaned a little and hugged his knees.