Chapter 14 - Can't Stay Away

Asimina

One day has passed, and the countdown has begun. I spent my day planning a wedding, taking my mind off the distance I have with all my loved ones. It gives me hope for better days to come. There were so many choices, so many Islands to pick from. Santorini, Corfu, Crete, although they are all beautiful. They're also swamped during the summer period. I picture our Greek wedding as small, intimate, and secluded.

The Italian wedding is going to be big. Over a thousand guests are expected. All the Morelli close business partners, European embassy heads, politicians, and many other suits will attend. Considering all that, I decided on Milos, a beautiful, quieter Island. White stoning cliffs, light blue crystal waters, and caves. There's a stunning white and blue church overlooking the ocean. It's perfect and full of Greek heritage and traditions.

I booked the ceremony at sunset for the twenty-first of September under the name kokino triantafullo - red rose. I've fully paid for the ceremony and assured them I would call back next week with the bride and groom's names. We still need to arrange marriage licenses, and since I'm meant to be dead, it will have to wait for next week.

The reception again will be small and intimate. I hired the Medusa restaurant on the Island for forty or so people, requesting they close to the public for the night. The setup will be outdoors, overlooking that brilliant ocean. Four long ten-seater tables, with roses as centerpieces and candles in between, will bring color. When night falls, bronze fire pits will give the outdoor area romantic lighting.

There is a paved area where the band and dance floor will be set up. The menu is traditional Greek food, a mix of seafood, meats, salads, and of course, it isn't Greek without tzatziki and other dips. A range of alcohol will be served, bourbon, ouzo, other spirits, and wines to cover everyone's taste. To ensure no alcohol shortage, I paid a little extra for the reception to organize the band for me. A smile curls on my lips, just picturing the night. A couple of small details remain. My dress is one of them. I found what I want. I just need to go in for a fitting. In that same boutique, they have the cutest flower girl dress for Evie. I just need an adorable pageboy suit for Nathan.

"The wedding plans are going well, I take it?!" Sal states as he and Alex walk in.

Looking at the time, I come out of my thoughts. It's five in the afternoon, and the boys are here to switch with Mark and Leon. "They are," letting out a breath. I start to get emotional again, glancing down at my naked finger. My engagement ring is missing.

"Mina?" Tommy says my name as a question.

Bring my teary eyes up to meet his, I mumble, "Sorry. We need wedding bands."

"Raffaele already has those. He bought them along with your engagement ring." He smiles, hoping it will brighten up my mood.

He succeeds. Nodding, I evict the lump in my throat.

Mark slides over a glass of bourbon, saying, "Us boys don't normally talk about emotional shit. We hand each other a drink."

Letting out a laugh, I raise the glass to the boys and take a gulp. "I miss my son. I miss everyone!" I've been away from them for so long. I crave to hold Nathan. It's shattering me into millions of pieces.

"They miss you too," Leon slides a bowl of chicken and mushroom risotto over to me. "Eat up."

I stayed up talking with both Mark and Leon last night. Mark and Sal had normal childhoods. Well, as normal as a kid in the mafia could have. Leon, on the other hand, grew up in a supposed orphanage, Saint Mary's. Till the age of ten, he trained as an assassin. They taught them to cook and clean for themselves. It was only after his tenth birthday he was sent out on jobs.