#2: Nymphadora's eyes (A Quirrel/Tonks fanfiction)

I first met Tonks when we were both training to be Aurora's. Of course, that is before I decided to pursue the (supposedly) safer career of a DADA teacher. Although there had not been a Defence against the Dark Arts teacher to last more than a year since the departure of poor Galatea Merrythought all those years ago, I was confident I would be different.

Anyhow, back to my beautiful Nymphadora. I met her on the first day of training. I remember admiring the way her hair flickered from bright violet to deep blue as she duelled with the teacher, stepping left and right with a deft nimbleness to avoid the streams of blue light being emitted by her opponents wand. I remember being blasted backwards by a badly aimed spell, and the feel of her hands on mine as she hurried to pull me up from the ground and brush down my robes. I remember my hair, long and blond at the time, falling to cover one of my eyes as I fired a stunning spell in her direction during class, and I remember her eyes crinkling at her own jokes as we sat on the edge of the fountain together with our lunches in hand.

It was only a year after, the day she graduated as an Aurora and I left to study as a teacher, that I finally gathered the courage to ask her out. I was so happy when she said yes. I spent days planning the perfect date, and was overjoyed when we shared our first kiss, in front of the brightly lit London eye. It was perfect.

My love for her only grew as we began to meet regularly every week for coffee. It was just like falling asleep, I fell in love slowly then all at once.

I began to notice the little changes in her behaviour about a month after the first kiss. Her hair colour began to flicker more often as she talked and her eyes changed from green to grey constantly. I dismissed it as simple stress or nerves at first, her job was getting a little overwhelming at that point what with the recent rise of some Death Eaters, remnants of a war long past. But then it persisted, and I thought about asking her. It could be important after all. It was a week from then that I discovered what it was.

Nymphadora leant in towards me as we sat on a park bench in the autumn. Her eyes whispered volumes as she murmured three little words, words I had been longing to hear my entire life.

"I love you."

Such simple words, but holding so much meaning. I kissed her then, and held her in my arms until the sun began to disappear over the horizon.

When Voldemort approached me, that night in the Forbidden Forest, I was reluctant. I was scared of him, and his consequences. But when he threatened me with Nymphadora's life if I did not graft his soul onto mine, I was beaten.

I drew inside myself from then, began wearing turbans. I developed a nervous stammer, and a permanent tic in my left eye. He who must not be named had such a huge influence on me that I was forced to stop seeing Tonks. It broke both our hearts, mine more than hers, but it needed to be done.

I still loved her to the day I died. I kept the photo from that first date in my robes near my heart. My last thoughts were only of her. Of my beautiful Nymphadora. But most of all, of how lovely her eyes were as they changed from green to grey and back. Nymphadora's eyes...

A/N: Little fault in our stars quote there. This was so sad! I almost cried at the end there. Anyways! Hope you liked this chapter! Keep suggesting ideas my minions!XD
-Snitchqueen