Chapter 1 - You're Alone Again

- Wednesday, February 12th, 2003, Light Snow, 10 pm.

It all started on a chilly winter night back in February of 2003. Dib was out on the roof of his house watching Zim walk home with Gir. Zim was dragging Gir on his dog leash since Gir was crunching away at a bowl of nachos. Gaz was heading up to the roof while playing her game. She spotted Dib watching the streets through binoculars and put her game on pause.

"Dib, pizza's h-..." Gaz just stared, "What are you doing now?..."

"Watching HIM..." Dib said back.

Gaz deadpanned and gripped her Game Slave tighter. It gave occasional cracking.

"He's out later than usual, and I know that means he got finished with doing something! He's probably planning something for Valentine's day!" He looked at Gaz, "Like hypnotizing everyone by putting something in everyone's food!"

"...Come inside the house, idiot.... " Gaz said.

Dib glared at her and pulled his hair.

"Look Gaz, I know I sound crazy, but I can't let Zim's schemes slide! The whole world has been in danger for two years now and I'm the only one doing something about it!"

"Dib..."

"This menace plans to control the human race!" Dib continued, "He's been the one who's driven me insane for the past how long! I can't stop thinking about him!"

"Dib..."

"I can't let this go! I can't let him go! He's..." Dib paused. 

Gaz squinted at that last part, "We... need to talk..." She pulled on Dib's jacket and brought him indoors.

________________________________________________________

Gaz and Dib were now in silence at the kitchen table. The only sound present was the humming of electricity in the house. Professor Membrane couldn't be there to eat with them due to an important award ceremony, and hence had to bounce early. He did order them pizza before he left. Gaz pinched the bridge of her nose. Dib looked at her and folded his hands. He was sweating a little.

"... We need to talk about how you think of Zim..."

"Gaz-"

"You have been driving everyone insane for the past two years because of this," Gaz continued, "When will you realize that he's basically harmless at this point?"

"Never underestimate your enemy, Gaz," Dib said, "You never know what they'll pull on you."

Gaz rolled her eyes, "If he was really dangerous, he would have taken over by now... He doesn't do much..."

"You haven't seen what I've seen...." Dib said while looking around the room. Gaz froze for a minute to prevent punching Dib in the nose. She then crossed her arms.

"You're obsessed with him..."

"You know what?" Dib started, "YES! YES I AM! HAPPY?"

Gaz needed relief from this constant torture. As she listened, an idea began to tinker in her brain due to a memory of Dib popping up.

"You really can't think of anyone else..."

Dib paused for a moment. He gave a confused look at Gaz's tone.

"Uh... yeah... I suppose?..." he replied rather hesitantly. He didn't like when Gaz spoke like this since it often ended with him getting hurt.

"You know, Valentine's Day is coming up," Gaz said, "You're not going to spend it alone again, are you?"