:Kiss Me Again: Chapter Ten

“Maria‼!” Alex and Jack sung as they walked into the apartment (that I now keep lock),  bags in hand. I slid the CAT scan photo back under my mattress and jogged down the stairs to greet them.

Guilt still hangs in the air as I thought back to the scan.

“Hey guys,”

“Have you ever heard of  "glory hole" in lake Berryessa, where at least one woman committed suicide by swimming inside in 1997?” Jack said out of nowhere.

“Uh, no.” I walked over so I as standing next to Alex. in return, he threw an arm over my shoulder and I leaned in more to him. It felt so natural, it felt so normal and I loved it.

“Whatever. Anyway, I have the last bag if you need it Alex. See you tonight.” Jack exited himself out the door and I turned to Alex.

“What’s happening tonight?” I asked as I tore myself from his embrace. Almost automatically, I wanted nothing but his warmth back.

“Well, I wasn’t going to tell you until tonight, but Rian and Cass are throwing a three year anniversary party and we’re all going.” I nodded and felt a pang of heartache. Zack, Rian, and Cass still don’t know I’m Maria and I don’t know if they’ll take it was well as Jack did or as bad as Alex did.

“Oh.” I muttered before trudging into the kitchen.

“I want you to come though.” He sprinted into the kitchen after me. “It’s time they know they’re best friend is back and although no one will admit, I know they miss you.” He hopped on the counter, swinging his feet as he study me.

“Wouldn’t they be expecting you to bring your….girlfriend Lisa?” as much as it pained me, Alex and Lisa are still together and its nothing that I can do about their relationship.

Alex rolls his eyes as he gives a snort.

“They all hate her. And who know the two of them better than you?” his eyes were hopeful and se searched for my answer.

I do miss Cass. We used to do so many things together that I absolutely hated, but did because I love spending time with her. Shopping, getting our nails done, getting our hair done, and letting her doll me up.

I miss my friends. The ones I would die for.

“Of course I’ll go.”

“Great it’ll be fun, I promise. Just the old gang back.”

Just the old gang back.

-

“Hey Alex, can you hand me my phone?” I was enjoying our day in as we listen to my Underoath & Artic Monkey’s playlist on iHome. I had my feet thrown over his lap while he played with my socks.

“Yeah sure,” he reached under his butt and pulled out my phone, handing it to me.

“Hello?” the number was unknown and I know it wasn’t’ Jeff so I had no idea who it could be.

“Miranda‼‼” the voice squealed. Alex cut me a look and I rolled my eyes with a smile.

“Hey Emma. Are you back in town?” Emma was a cousin of mine on my adoptive side of the family. When Jeff and Stacy adopted me, they had a niece living with them named Emma.

“Yeah. I hate Middle College though. All the guys are assholes and all the girls are sluts.” She whined.

“Oh, you’ll survive. So where are you staying?”

“At Kim’s. I’ll come by to visit you, it’s been three years.” I gulped. Emma nor Jeff knew about my cancer. I always made up some lie that I was out of town so they wouldn’t have to know.

“Uhm, well, I can’t make it because….” I looked around for anything that would help me think of an excuse.

“Because…..”

“I’m going to a party tonight and I have a date tomorrow.” I slapped my hand over my mouth and groaned. Alex gave me a WTF look and mouthed ‘date with who?’

“A date with who?” Emma questioned.

“With, Alex Gaskarth. An old high school friend.”

“GASKARTH! OHMYGOD! YOU’RE GOING ON A DATE! WITH........ALEXWILLIAMGASKARTH.” There was a pause in her screaming. “FROMALLTIMELOW‼! BUT HE BROKE YOUR HEART‼!” Alex reached over and plucked the phone from my hand and stood up.

I stood up right after him and reached for my phone.

“Hi. Emma right?”

“Alex,” I reached for the phone, but he just twirled around.

“Yeah, about that party tonight, my friend Jack needs a date and you’re certainly invited.”

“Alex!” He slapped a hand over my mouth

“Any relative of my sweet, sweet, dear, Miranda is a friend of mine.” Alex furrows his eyebrows together and I scream into his hand. “I won’t. I promise.” There was another break. “Girlfriend?” another break. “Of course I love her.” another break. “No, I’m not gay.” I stifled a laugh and he glared at me. “Okay, bye.”

Now I was the one to glare at Alex. I took my fist pack and punched him in the arm.

“Why would you set up a date with my 17 cousin with my 25 pervy friend?” his face completely dropped.

“She was 17?”

AWWwWWwW I lOve happy Alex and Miranda. I mean, who doesn't?