Chapter Nineteen: "Human"

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. N.L.PETIT 2014.

Chapter Nineteen: "Human"

I stopped and stared, frozen in fear. The wolf's dark eyes stared back at me with contempt as it paused midstep, massive face turning towards me to take in my tense stance. I couldn't remember whether I should have run or stayed still. Unable to move as I began to shake slightly, watching the massive, terrifyingly gorgeous creature watch me.

The wolf was as still as I was. It felt like an old-fashioned, western stare down with the way he -- as I could most certainly tell it was male -- calculated my every breath with much more intelligent eyes than I had ever seen on an animal. The wild yet clever aura he had gave me chills, and I could not decide whether to run or to marvel at him.

Unless he was not actually an animal. Was it possible that he could be a shifter? A werewolf, more specifically. But even then, what would the wolf from Chalance be doing in Adrian's house? My mind immediately screamed at me the coincidence that when Adrian had moved from Chalance, so had the wolf. But he couldn't be...

The wolf stepped closer, and I saw a flash of blue in my mind.

No. I hoped, for his sake, it wasn't him. I didn't want a supernatural life for him, even though I knew with me in his life it would be just that. He could be normal, as I had always thought. He deserved no less than that. Maybe it was the moon, but I couldn't even admit to myself that I was in denial.

Another step in my direction, and I stepped back and bumped against the wall, my head pounding. My nails scratched against the wall unintentionally, and I mentally berated myself for marring the perfection of Adrian's home.

I snapped back to the present. "Stay away!" I shouted.

The wolf's teeth bared slightly, and I clenched my jaw and closed my eyes, waiting for him to jump me and tear my body apart.

I heard the quickening clicks of claws on the tile and prepared to scream, suddenly so afraid I could barely breathe. I didn't understand my emotions at all but I couldn't control them either.

There was a pause where I heard the shuffling of clothing. As I opened my mouth to shout out, hot arms abruptly wrapped around me and pulled me into a strong body. His familiar scent enveloped me, and he held me close, speaking lowly against my hair as my legs began to feel weak.

"It's okay, Sophie. It's okay." His large hands tightened around my waist. I could feel his bare skin against my arms and legs, and his body was incredibly hot in temperature. I had never felt another person so warm, but he was the only comforting thing keeping me from rescinding into my mind.

But I still pushed his arms away and distanced myself from him. I had known he was supernatural - even if I had tried to deny it to myself -, but my mind must have never fully and completely comprehended it. Seeing it was an entirely different animal.

"I need a minute," I said under my breath, crossing my arms over my stomach.

Adrian stepped in front of me and tried to catch my gaze. "Sophie, please, just listen to me. I know this seems impossible, but I--."

"No, Adrian, it's completely possible, but I need a minute," I interrupted, involuntarily pressing a hand to my head. "I just- I didn't-."

This time, I cut myself off. I wasn't sure what I wanted to say. His weight fell back against the granite counter, and he ran his hands roughly through his hair. I wanted to comfort him, but I couldn't even be sure if I was imagining this or not. I knew that I was not.

"Let me take you out of the kitchen," he said, gazing disapprovingly at the dirty snow he had tracked inside before he turned regretful eyes on me, "and we'll sit. I'll tell you everything you want to know."