Crystal Crown

Darkness shrouded the empty hallway. Flickering flames atop small lanterns lit the walls revealing words written in the language of the first ones, which Galogath didn't understand at the time. He crept through the seemingly endless tunnel until he saw a dim golden light at the far end. As he walked closer, the light grew brighter and he would have been blinded, staring so intently at it, had he not been a goblin.

"Finally my quest is nearly complete!" He snickered quietly to himself. He had won, or so the poor goblin had thought. He was small compared to most other goblins, a race already short to begin with. But he was special, the chosen one. As he continued walking, his overly large feet growing heavier with each step, he unconsciously became very tired. He shook his head wildly, his hand clenched. He wouldn't drop it, no! He would never drop it. Galogath was a smart goblin (as far as goblin intelligence goes) and he knew to hold tightly.

The goblin had already traveled so far. He crossed the great dry sand, slipped past dirty human camps, and he had even made a friend. Friends, Galogath had never had one before, but he had been very sad since that day.

"The humans chased us, called us dinner", he mumbled, daydreaming. True, he had saved his friend from a nasty human prison, but he had looked so sad. All he was fed was slop and Galogath had only to kill one unarmed guard to save his new, pink, squeeling friend.

"Stupid humans, always screaming." He was forgetting about everything about him. He felt so tired, he sat down for just one moment and began singing his favorite lullaby, "On the day the humans came, we slept amongst their poor and lame. They tricked us all to shame, and called us shit for a name." He didn't remember the rest of the song, but he didn't care. Goblin songs were always strange. He wrote this one himself in fact.

He was soon drifting to sleep, still mumbling the lyrics over and over again. Pain flashed in his head and vision took over. He saw another dirty human, wearing armor with a long red cape. He had a short brown beard and short brown hair. The word Bloodcarth blew into his ears. Who is Bloodcarth? He jolted up, staring at his now empty hands.

"It's gone!" he exclaimed. "No, what have I done!". He was holding it he thought. He looked all around, but he couldn't find it. The key, where had it gone! How could he lose the key!

He heard his old owner mocking him, "Well done you little shit!".

"No, I killed you!" he screamed. He was going crazy he knew. The room seemed to be pressing in one him, making him choke as he sucked in the cold air.

Galogath had failed. The chosen one, the other goblins had called him.

"I'm a failure." he cried, "I'm so sorry." he mumbled tears filling his eyes. He stood and ran, ran until his feet ached and forced him to stop.

"KRAAAAAAA" A loud screaming sound filled the tunnel and poop little Galogath knew he wasn't alone. As he ran he felt wind hitting his back and was propelled forward, rolling, then falling. Then, it was quiet. Galogath felt alone again. He stood up and felt around. Reaching around, he found it! The door! Filled with happiness he reached his hand to the key hole.

"The key!" He wailed, "I lost it!". The goblin's wails and screams were a horrible sound almost like that of a dying animal.

Luckily, he did learn some arcania while in Irini.

"Fiera." he said hand extended, palm exposed. Nothing; it had worked before. "Fiera!" he repeated, louder this time. Not even a spark. It was then Galogath realized that this place was different. He could always use arcania before. He used to cook his meals and do tricks for the goblin children. Now something was wrong. It was his quest to come to Kako. Goblins were never heroes, but Galogath was to be the first.

"KRAAAAAA" The sound exploded the room and shook pebbles from the ceiling.

"Stay back!" Galogath tried to fight but only felt tired. He laid back down for just a moment and closed his eyes. "Stupid humans." he mumbled, forgetting everything around him.

"Bring me Bloodcarth" a single beautiful voice broke the chaotic screams.

"Yes, master" Galogath the goblin hero replied.