twelve.

twelve.

NATHAN ACCIDENTALLY FELL asleep

NATHAN ACCIDENTALLY FELL asleep. A miracle, really, but he actually did. And he only came down to the realization when he woke up and found himself awkwardly curled up on the floor, his jacket supporting his head (even though he was pretty sure he hadn't put it there himself).

"You talk a lot in your sleep," Adelaide said.

When Nathan glanced in her voice's direction through squinty eyes, he found her smiling softly. Surely a change from her dreadful mood right after their conversation.

"Shit." Nathan straightened a little, absently rubbing his eye with the heel of his palm. A strand of hair fell over his forehead but he didn't bother brushing it aside. "Did I say something embarrassing?"

"I feel like you'd say the embarrassing thing when you're awake."

Nathan let out a short snort-of-a-chuckle. "Maybe," he mumbled. He stayed in his position, half-slouched and half-sprawled down, and contemplated if he had enough energy to sit up completely.

Adelaide's smile quickly dropped. Nathan saw the words in her eyes but she never said anything. It'd be stupid if she did anyway. All the stress had clearly started taking a toll on him.

But it wasn't like he was the only one suffering. Nathan forcefully sat up straight, trying not to make Adelaide worry more. Except that the movement, the slightest curve of his torso, had him grunting. Stupid bruise along his ribs acted like a constant pain vibrator. He held the spot.

"Just go back to sleep," Adelaide said with a hopelessly desperate tone to her voice. Nathan looked up and her expression matched what he'd imagined. Constantly concerned. "I'll wake you up when he slips in Act Four or something."

Chest deflating with a long sigh, Nathan just shook his head. Sure sleeping itself restored energy a little, but folding like a cat (minus the divine fluidity) on the floor for a while was destructive. At least four bones in him echoed with dull pain.

Adelaide must've noticed that. "I swear if he wouldn't flip out, I'd let you sleep on the bed. But I don't want him to beat you up . . . again."

Nathan almost laughed whilst rubbing a hand over his face. "Even if he didn't care, I wouldn't sleep on the bed. What kind of asshole would I be if I let you sleep on the floor?"

"By this logic, you'd be the kind of 'asshole' I'm being right now." Adelaide tilted her head skeptically. "Besides, that sounds like something Dolion would say."

Nathan would've laughed but the second part hit him in his insecurity again. So he just frowned at her, scowling, but then quickly calmed himself down. Joke. Just a joke. She didn't mean he was like Dolion, right?