Chapter 22

"Why are you even here Dad, you need to go." She presses her foot in front of the door to stop his advancement into her home. He stands with his arm up pressing in on the door as much as he can, eyes locked on me. "I want a word with Cage first." He seethes through his teeth. I can hardly focus on what is being said between them. The only thing I can focus on right now is the word 'Dad' and Alpha Dominic standing on her front porch.

She presses her hand against the wood, stance shifting as she rolls her shoulders back "Leave!" Sophia's chin jets up in pure defiance, not giving an inch for him to enter. I can't believe what I am witnessing right now. Does she know the truth about him? What he is? She couldn't possibly have known, she would have known when I told her what I am.

Watching her defence of her territory things are starting to click, tendencies I hadn't given attention to until now. Her attitude at the bar, standing against the mountain lion unafraid, even her interaction with Kirsten. Natural instincts are ingrained within her even if she isn't fully one.

"When he steps outside, " Dominic continues to rage. Luca tries to call to his father from the steps tipping back and forth on his feet, hands balling into fists at his sides. Calling for her does nothing to interrupt them, they both continue to rampage like uncontrollable storms. "Sophia, we just want to talk, promise," Luca tries to defuse the situation.

"No one asked you Big Ears." She flings her anger her brother's way, not taking her eyes off her father. "Get off my property, both of ya."

Dominic's eyes penetrate me with a challenging glare that I can feel crawl over my skin trying to force my shoulders down. I'm starting to shake with the effort to keep them up. Luca tugs at the bottom of his hair in frustration, "come on Sissy." He tries again.

"Tell me the truth, how do you know him?" she demands. The pieces are starting to fall into place for her. His teeth aimed towards me, I flash mine right back his way. Fuck him. She deserved the truth, I'll be damned if I was going to lie to her. How could he? This is the worst way she could have found this out. Her breathing becomes heavier, "tell me" Sophia's voice is starting to lower with the loss of its drive. The wolf sounds out loud, the hurt in her is causing the anger to rise in him.

Dominic pays us no attention as he glances towards her with softened eyes. "Nena..." He starts, removing his arm from the door. "How could you keep this from me?" Sophia interrupts before slamming the door closed as the tears run down her face before a sob escapes her trembling lips.

"Sophia" reaching a hand towards her she quickly turns on me.

"Did you know?" She asks, nothing but betrayal in her eyes as she watches me, wiping at the liquid with her fingers before her eyes slam shut. Her legs tremble with the effort to stay upright as her hand grips the doorknob. Swallowing down the whimper in my throat to force the words out. "No" it's barely a whisper. She wipes with her sleeves as her hand grips onto her hair and she buries her face in her arms as her legs start to buckle under her. Catching her before she hits the ground she grips my shirt hard and the dam breaks completely. The front of my shirt quickly becomes saturated in her tears as her sobs fill my ears. I have no idea what to do or say other than to hold her. Rocking her slightly as she sits on my lap on her living room floor. Sophia makes no effort to move long after she has cried and spoken incoherently to the point of emptiness. Nothing comes from her all I can feel is her numbed emotions. My heart is breaking for her.

"Do you think my mom knew?" Her voice is weak and scratchy when she finally speaks. She keeps her head on my chest, her small hands haven't let go of my shirt this whole time. Unclenching one of them and holding it in mine to rub the pad of my thumb over her knuckles my other hand comes up to stroke her stained cheek. Sophia looks so broken, this would break her completely if she did know the truth about Sophia's father and about her. "I don't know sweetheart. I'm so sorry." Its the only thing I can say.

She slams her eyes closed to stop the tears. I didn't think she had any liquid left but more leaks from her eyes.

Pulling her closer before kissing her forehead I can't hold back any longer. My wolf has been pacing my mind biting and growling at me to come forth and I can't hold him back anymore as we watch her fall apart. He wants to comfort her too; himself.

Sophia doesn't stop me when I get up, she just sits on the floor, her body shakes with her muffled cries. It isn't long before he is wrapping her small body up to cacoon and shelter her. He whines to her and she clings to him like a lifeline, burying her face in his neck she begins to sob and cry all over again.

It is night before she finally stops from exhaustion. We notice Sophia's head bobbing down and the wolf nudges her to stand with him. When she finally gets up he pulls on her sleeve to follow him to her room. She stands emotionless making no motion to get in bed, just looking on with dull eyes.

When the wolf pulls the covers off the bed he whines and yips, pushing his snout to the mattress before pacing back and forth. All Sophia does is look to the dresser. I can't take this any longer and neither can he. I push forward and he lets me, he doesn't know what more to do or try. I'm guessing she wants to get changed before going to sleep.

Grasping her face between my hands I force her to look directly at me, I have to dig my fingers in slightly to get her eyes to meet mine. She puts her hands over mine licking her lips before meeting my gaze. I can see how the sea has drained from her. There are no depths to dive in and no lightning to watch as it runs across. Nothing but a dulling overcast to be seen.

It's hard to hold in my own emotions and I have to blink to stop my own tears. "Talk to me" I whisper before closing my eyes and putting my forehead to hers. Her mouth opens but only a croak comes out.

I fell her hands leave mine as she pulls away from me. When I open my eyes I'm surprised to see her pulling her shirt over her head before reaching for her pants. "Sophia." I try to stop her but she continues to wiggle them off.

"My shirts are in the middle drawer, my shorts are in the bottom." Sophia doesn't look at me when she tells me, she just sits down to finish removing her pants fully along with her socks. I follow her instructions and grab what my hand touches first before returning in front of her. Bending down I help her put on her shorts before taking her hand and pulling her to stand. She grabs the shirt and pulls it down over her head before getting in bed, dragging me down with her.

She just wants to be held and It is not long before I can hear her breathing even out. Her hold on me tightens with any slight movement I have, I squeeze her back in reassurance that I am not going anywhere. I wouldn't abandon her when she needs me.

My mind roams too much for me to sleep. My emotions run along with my thoughts.

How could he never tell her? Who else knew? Did members of my pack know? Did Barret know? Did Sophia's mother know? What now? What will happen when I mark her? What about our future?

I hear Sophia groan softly "Cage?" Her voice is still hoarse from the day's events. She tries to sit up but I hold her to me before placing a chaste kiss on her forehead and running my fingers through her hair. "Go back to sleep sweetheart." Cooing her, Sophia places her head back on my chest. "Stop thinking and sleep with me." She responds slowly as she drifts back into sleep. I try to join her storing my thoughts and questions for tomorrow. Burying my nose into her hair and wrapping both arms around her. Sophia tugs at my beard, bringing my face down to hers before placing her lips on mine. When she pulls away from me she buries her face into the crook of my neck and we fall asleep in each other's arms.