𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑇𝐻𝑅𝐸𝐸

LIGHT RED

"OH, HOLY MERLIN."

Loki had been stressing about the end of her potions class to Nicolas for the last half an hour. The pair were sitting outside underneath a tree that overlooked the Quidditch pitch. Loki was sure Nicolas had stopped listening when he shut his eyes, but the thought disappeared when he tenderly touched her shoulder.

"It's probably nothing, Loki," he smiled tiredly. "He probably just got curious when you interacted with Remus. They are mates, y'know. So he was just wondering who his pal was talking to."

"Maybe, but they were looking at something. What if it was about me?" Loki squealed. "Oh, Merlin," Loki moaned, "What if it was about me?" She paused and sighed, running a hand through her short raven locks. "I'm sorry, you probably don't want to hear about me venting about my silly little crushes."

"No, it's cool," Nicolas shrugged. "I'm your only friend, Loki," he chuckled, "you have to be able to talk to me."

"Thank you," Loki smiled. "That makes me feel slightly less lonely.

"But," Nicolas started again, propping himself up, "you should probably talk to them before you start falling in love or whatever."

The girl frowned. She was never good at talking to people. When she did she became extremely anxious and feared she would mess up her words. So, talking to the two boys she'd crushed on since their third year seemed impossible for her.  She would just have to imagine a conversation or something.

"Moving past crushes, what have you been up to?" Nicolas' eyes flickered down to the leather-bound book resting beside the girl.

She smiled gently, knowing what he was talking about. Loki picked it up and undid the rope. She flicked though the pages until landing on the sketch she was doing the day before. Nicolas scooched over, taking the book that was offered to him.

"Is that the Whomping Willow?" Nicolas queried, pointing at the unfinished tree near the centre.

"Inspired by it," she smiled. "I have a really good idea about what I want to do with it."

"That's really cool," the boy grinned. He handed back the book and smiled by her. "You better become famous one day."

"When I do, I'm definitely going to dedicate an artwork to you," she replied.

"Better start working on it now," Nicolas laughed. Loki joined him, chuckling as she flicked through her pages.

Her eyebrows furrowed when she reached the front. The male beside didn't notice, as his eyes had averted to a small group of girls a few feet away. Doubting her thoughts, Loki flicked through again. When no result came up once more, she held the book so the pages faced the earth and gently shook. There was still no result.

"What's wrong?" Nicolas queried, finally seeing her behaviour. He noted the distressed look on his friend's face. "Loki, what's up?"

"There–there was a drawing in here. It was on a loose page, so it fell out, but I put it back in, but now I can't find it." Loki blurted. She dropped the book and turned to her bag, tearing it open before searching frantically through it.

"Okay, Loki," Nicolas breathed, placing his hand on her shoulder again, "you need to calm down. It's probably in the dormitories or something. It will turn up soon, trust me."

"What if someone found it?" Loki inquired. She looked up, and her face fell. "Oh no. Oh no. Oh, Merlin. No," she breathed, her heart sunk as a sudden distressing thought crossed her mind.

"What?" Nicolas questioned.

Loki shook her head, pushing the thought from her head. She had no idea where it was, so it was possible it was in the Common Room. She sighed, pressing her fingers against her temple and closing her eyes as she tried to think.

"Nicolas," Loki's green eyes flew open and she turned to the brunette beside her, "come with me. Courtyard."

Nicolas nodded. The two gathered their things before standing up. Loki walked much quicker than normal, a familiar knot forming in her stomach. Nicolas followed close behind, sending how anxious the loss of the piece of paper was making her. He had no idea what was on it, so he had no idea why it meant so much to Loki.

"WHERE IS IT?"

Loki and Nicolas searched vigorously through the courtyard. Nicolas had asked the few groups that were there if they had seen anything, but they all shook their heads and told him they hadn't seen a thing. Nicolas was ready to call it lost, but Loki refused.

"Maybe the wind blew it away?" Nicolas suggested. Loki shook her head, checking underneath the seat for the dozen time.

"There was no wind last night," she told him. "Someone might have found it."

"Loki, as I said before, it might be in the Common Room," Nicolas spoke up again.

"We'll check there next," she said. "But only after I can confirm it's not out here."

"It's not."

Loki froze, her breath hitching in her throat. She swore she felt her heart drop a million miles.

"It's here."

The second voice made Loki's hands scrunch up in tight fists. She hung her head, not wanting to move from the spot on the grass where she rested on her hands and knees. Silently, she prayed for the ground to open up by some miracle and make her disappear forever. After a moment, Loki lifted her head and eyes up to look at the two people that stood before her.

She was screwed. She was so absolutely screwed.