Chapter 16: Trust is Overrated

"Why can't you boys go to the hospital? You're both in no condition not to," Asuma Sarutobi commented

"Why can't you boys go to the hospital? You're both in no condition not to," Asuma Sarutobi commented. He wasn't letting either boy leave the small clearing without a plausible explanation. One that neither could give without being paralysed. That'd surely send the leaf shinobi into a panicked state.

"We don't have health care or the money to pay for treatment ourselves," Kuma lied smoothly, ignoring the disbelief on the jounin's face. He didn't dare look at his friend, confident that they would be able to get out of this situation safely.

The jounin had healed the boys as best as he could with little experience, but he felt like he couldn't just let them go. Both boys were in bad shape and he didn't think it was best to leave them to their own devices. While they weren't exactly at death's door, they still needed medical assistance to reduce the risk of infection.

"Do you have any family or friends we can drop you off to?" Asuma persisted, pocketing the few rolls of unused bandages he had left. "I don't want you both left alone with the injuries you've sustained."

"We have no family or friends that could look after us," Imori shook his head as he spied his salamander - Ko - collecting the hidden scrolls in the bush opposite them before disappearing.

"You mentioned a senpai. Do you have a name you could give us?" A look was shared as a silent conversation took place between the self proclaimed siblings. Team ten watched their interaction like a hawk.

Quirked lips, furrowed brows and knowing stares were exchanged, as the two refused to verbalise their thoughts until Kuma broke the silence. "I trust them, so trust me."

It appeared Imori had no choice as he stood, pulling away from Ino as she tried to steady him. He didn't allow for her assistance, glowering. A sharp stare analysed the members and sensei of team ten, one that was shockingly aggressive. It looked unnatural on his face.

Despite their assistance, he didn't trust them. Imori was still terrified this was a test. A test they would surely fail. And failure meant punishment. And if that were the case... he didn't know if he could take it right now. His bones ached and his mind longed for a soft mattress, one he surely didn't own and only felt in his dreams.

"Would you trust me if it was someone I knew?" Imori's abrasive tone didn't go unnoticed and only Shikamaru and Asuma were smart enough to realise that the boys may be in more trouble than initially believed. And Imori remembered when he was pulled into trusting the dark haired boy from the apartments. That stupidity almost killed them both. 

Kuma eyed his brother for a few seconds before looking away. He too clearly remembered the incident. "You don't have the best track record when it comes to making friends. So no, I wouldn't." With Shikamaru's assistance, Kuma groaned as he stood to his full height, level with his brother.