Chapter 5

Feel free to point out any grammar mistakes.

Have a great day, everyone!!

CHAPTER 5

Chapter 5

The next six months were the best of Aadi’s life. At least twice a week he and Ishani would sneak out to their secluded cave. They would share in kisses from time to time, but mostly they spent the nights talking about their lives and goals. When he was with her he felt more at ease. His dreams, too, had become more pleasant.

The only minor drawback he had experienced was in raising awareness of the creature that was set to suck the planet dry. Every day at noon, he would go to the city square and shout out the prophecy he’d heard, hoping someone would listen. But every day he was ignored by every passerby. He had even resorted to going to the praying temples. He had to get the priests on his side. Surely if they preached with him, people would listen. But no priest wanted anything to do with him. Many would call the guards as soon as they saw him coming.

Regardless of his streak of bad luck, Aadi kept his head high. He was certain his luck was going to change soon. Someone with influence was bound to listen. Then they would be able to do something about the mysterious creature.

~~~

Things began to change on the first night of the full moon. The night began well, as usual. Aadi met Ishani at the city gates and they snuck out to their hidden sanctuary. On that particular night, she had managed to bring boiled eggs and two pichion drumsticks.

“You didn’t really have to bring this. I’m glad with just plain mana.”

“I know,” she said. “But I wanted you to taste my cooking. It took me hours to prepare it. What do you think? Do you like it?”

Aadi took a bite. The salted meat did wonders for his taste buds. “It’s delicious. Thanks.”

She smiled and gave him a peck on his cheek. “You’re welcome.”

Once done, they headed back to the city through the usual dark path. They were holding hands and setting up their next date when Aadi saw a flicker of movement behind the large stone ahead. He dismissed it, figuring it had to be a bird, but a second later he saw the movement again. He knew it had to be something else.

His palms grew clammy as he took a look at their surroundings. The city was still a good distance away. Nothing but rocks, thistles, and hard dirt surrounded them. There was no way anyone in Missea would be able to hear them from this distance. If it were just he alone, he wouldn’t be so scared, but if any harm were to befall Ishani, he would never forgive himself.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, no doubt noticing his nervousness.

“I think there are some bandits up ahead.”

She looked up where he had pointed and then back at him. “Aww. You worry too much, honey. That’s just a stone.”

But just as she finished speaking, a shadow hopped from behind the rock. A second later, three more shadows joined it. Aadi and Ishani moved slightly closer to one another.

He took a step back, startled. “We have nothing of value,” said Aadi.

The bandits didn’t seem to care. They moved closer. Slowly, the silhouettes took form. All four of them wore the same blue shirts and dusted brown pants. Their bony cheekbones protruded through their grimy skin. But what surprised Aadi was the bandits’ young appearance. None of them could have been past eighteen years of age. And to top it all off, one of them was the same boy he had helped back at Missea.