Chapter 10: Parlay

Parlay bets are high risk, but have the potential to garner increased odds and payoffs. Rather than place multiple single bets, the parlay combines several other, often smaller, bets. Say we're looking at sports betting. Then the parlay bet would be a small to medium sum on several teams, rather than a large sum on one team.

There is a catch, however. In exchange for higher odds and increased payoff, the risk for a parlay bet is high, because in order to win each bet must win. So, if you bet on five sports teams, and all five win, then hooray for you! One loss out of five, and you lose everything.

See how that may be more of a risk than you're willing to take. Typically, frequent gamblers choose not to place parlay bets. The payout is often not enough to make what they stand to lose worth it.

~~

Kuroo stood there, wide-eyed at the ball gently rolling away from the net. He looked at his hands in disbelief. The roar of the crowd around him nearly burst his eardrums while Bokuto and the rest of his teammates leapt onto him in exultation. Sweat-slicked and on the verge of collapse, he mechanically stood on the back line, bowed to his opponents, bowed to the spectators that came to support his team.

It was like Kuroo was in a trance when he headed for the locker rooms with his team. There was so much running through his mind that everything felt a static numbness. It was until a familiar dulcet voice called out to him that snapped him out of his trance.

"Kuroo!" (Y/N) yelled from down the hallway.

The boy's attention snapped to her form sprinting at him.

~~

Parlay bets are best placed by those who don't gamble very often. For Kuroo, a lot has to go right for him to get what he wants.

One, (Y/N) cannot still have feelings for Oikawa or have feelings for anyone else.

Two, he himself must have treated her sufficiently well as a human being. These are the conditions of the bet, but be that as it may, when it comes to her, Kuroo would never settle for 'sufficient'.

Three, she has to love him back.

~~

Kuroo took a step towards her and opened his arms. Without missing a beat, (Y/N) ran and jumped into his arms, throwing her arms around his neck.

Deciding, 'Fuck it,' Kuroo leaned down and captured her lips in a kiss.

(Y/N) yelped a little in surprise, then relaxed, melting into the embrace. Her hands came up to cup his face while they ignored the loud ribbing from the Tokyo U team behind them.

Kuroo was, surprisingly, the one to pull back first. Not very far, but he separated their lips just enough to ask her, "What are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing yet."

"Great. See you at seven?"

"It's a date."

~~

A cool breeze blew through the Tokyo U campus as (Y/N) and Kuroo walked through the main quad. The tall middle blocker had thoroughly refused to tell her where they were going, even as they walked up the fourth flight of stairs in the biology building of the university.

Once they arrived at the roof access door, Kuoo produced a single key with a little green tag on it.

"I have my ways," he had told her.

Upon opening the door, they were greeted by a completely barren rooftop garden. The planter boxes were filled with soil and nothing else. Empty pots accompanied uncovered trellises, and the small birdbath was completely dry. It's hard to see very many stars in a city like Tokyo, but from the rooftop, the lights from the high-rise buildings, and streetlights, and headlights from cars dotted the landscape like heaven on earth.