Chapter 28

Sage

One month had passed since we were brought to the cellar. Every other day Afton came down to touch me. It wasn't long before he found out I was pregnant. As he fucked me he would talk about how when I gave birth he would torture me until I died and would raise our pups to become heartless warriors. The need to escape grew stronger every day knowing what Afton planned on doing to my innocent pups.

On top of that, Rayne's health was going downhill. Whenever he stood he would get dizzy. He constantly had a fever and would sweat so much during the night that it would leave a small puddle on the concrete.

Because I was an alpha I felt little effects of not eating much during the day. Rayne, on the other hand, was weaker. He had lost a considerable amount of weight which was not good for him or his pup. When we are fed I always give Rayne half of my small portion so he had at least a fighting chance.

When Afton was not down in the cellar, he left Dion to watch us. We learned a lot about Dion from the time he spent with us. He was twenty-two years old. He had brown hair and brown eyes. A shadow of a beard present on his face. He was quite tall and had large muscles. He almost matched my height and muscle mass.

Sometimes Dion would sneak us extra food and bring Rayne medicine to treat his fevers. The little things he did helped both me and Rayne so much. It's a shame that Dion is being held here by Afton. When we get out of here I will try my best to convince my father to allow Dion into our pack. He has been kind to us, not once hurting us.

"Sage... I'm sorry," Rayne whispers from his corner of the room. His body shakes from the cold. "I'm so sorry that we are in this situation. You're getting hurt, I'm dying... nothing is okay right now."

"Rayne I promise you that we're gonna both make it out alive.

"It would be nice to die at home surrounded by friends and family then in here."

"Stop! I can't handle you talking like your death isn't of importance!"

"I've accepted that I'm going to die. You should too. It's not like I'm fine with it. The thought of me dying scares me so much. But I have to think this way; it's going to happen very soon. There's nothing I can do to stop it. I should accept it instead of letting fear consume me.

"You don't deserve this, Rayne. You should be able to be with your mate and live a long happy life. We are only seventeen. Most werewolves live for hundreds and hundreds of years. Your life shouldn't be cut short like this. Especially with how much pain you're in. It will be a painful death. And if anyone deserves a painful death, it's Afton. Not you."

I crawl over to Rayne and curl my body around his fragile frame. Rayne shivers against me, nuzzling his head under my chin. Our bellies press together as Rayne cuddles closer to me.

"I can't wait until I feel my pup kick for the first time. I just want to know that he is gonna be alright."

"I'm sure that you'll feel him move very soon. Try to get some rest, okay? You need to try to get some of your strength back."

It isn't long before Rayne falls asleep. The door to the cellar opens and Dion walks through. He sits down on the floor close to me. He has two large plates of food in his hands. Large portions of steak, potatoes, and broccoli are stacked on the plates.