Open

“Cliff!” Arcee called in a hushed whisper. “We’re . . . Not exactly . . .”

        “Hmmm?” Cliffjumper replied, his optics still shut. “What is it, ‘Cee?”

        “I believe we have much to discuss,” came the Prime’s voice as he looked down at the formerly slumbering pair.

        “Hey Chief . . .” Cliff muttered, one of his optics peeking open. “Miss me? I know ya did.”

        Arcee suppressed a groan. Just last night, her sparkmate had been returned to her, and this morning, she would have to attempt to explain their closeness. It wasn’t exactly something they could deny when she was still wrapped in the red mech’s embrace when Optimus had found them on the rooftop. For the life of her, Arcee couldn’t imagine how Cliffjumper was so calm in the face of this.

        ~~~

        “Cliffjumper, how is it you came to be among us again?” The Prime asked, a stunned Bulkhead, Ratchet and Bumblebee staring on at the pair. The children were trying to piece everything together from where they stood on the landing, looking equally shocked.

        “Zombie ‘Bot?” Miko suggested, watching Cliffjumper with an eager zeal.

        Cliffjumper laughed, his large hand holding Arcee’s tightly. “Not quite, Kid . . . Primus has a good spark. He thought I’d be better off here rather than in the well. It helps that I made quite a bit of noise there. Couldn’t keep my mouth shut about how much I wanted to come back to you guys. That place wasn’t offering me any peace.” Glancing at Arcee again, he smiled. “Not without her.”

        Arcee was flustered at his open admission of what they were and what they’d been for quite some time before he’d perished. Partners, but not just while under siege. “Cliff,” she scolded quietly, just loud enough for him to pick up on it.

        “All I had to do was fulfill a goal. It was filled, and here I am. Ready to serve the cause once again, Prime.” Cliffjumper gave a small nod to Optimus, a grin on his face. “That is, if you think you can handle me.”

        ~~~

        “How can you possibly be so carefree about this?” Arcee asked Cliff once they were alone, her voice hushed but strained. “How can you possibly be so comfortable with them knowing! We’re warriors!”

        “When you’re in love, why not profess it to the world?” Cliff retorted, smiling.

        “This is serious, Cliff! What about the ‘Cons? They’ll use us against each other!”

        Venting sadly, Cliff went serious as he stepped forward and held Arcee against his form. “I know, ‘Cee. I know. We’ll be careful. But I love you. I have offlined. I don’t care what our comrades think anymore. I just want to have you with me. All the better if they know, you know? Because then I know that they won’t interfere with us. They know how serious it is. They know how serious I am about you.”

        “You’re not serious about anything,” Arcee muttered.

        Squeezing her tighter, Cliffjumper refused to let go. “You are the only thing I am serious about. I will lay down my spark for you. I have. No one will ever take you away from me. We have a chance to do this over, and we will. Because I adore you.”

        Arcee relaxed against him, wrapping her arms around him at last in defeat. “I love you, Cliff.”

        “I love you, too, my bonded.”