The atmosphere between them was different in the daylight. Joey climbed into Lauren's car in a fluster, still with a handful of toast and his backpack gaping open, and she had to fight to keep her laughter under control as she pulled away.

"Looks like you're having a good morning," she said cheerfully. Joey grumbled something about not sleeping well. "Well maybe that's because you fell asleep watching the movie last night," she chastised.

Joey grinned at her. "My morning's already going a lot better now you're here."

They had a little while before their call time, so they went to sit in the coffee shop round the corner from the theatre. It was busy, but the pair of them managed to find a booth in the corner and they may as well have had the place to themselves, the hustle and bustle just background noise to their enrapturing conversation. The sun shone in strongly through the window, making them both feel warm.

"I really don't remember the last time it was this warm here in January," Lauren said, her forehead creasing as she looked out the window at all the people wandering about and barely a hat or scarf in sight.

"If only it could be like this all the time."

"Apart from when you're running halfway across town?" she smirked.

Joey groaned. "God, you are never going to let me live that one down, are you?"

"Joey, I waited forty seven minutes for you to show up, so-"

"I said I was sorry!"

"I know," she softened, reaching across the table to put her hand over his.

"You know, I... I didn't know what I was expecting to get out of this show. It was just a job. I'm getting paid to act, which is nice."

Lauren frowned at him, wondering where he was going with this. "But?"

"But... I got you out of it. Lo, you... I've never met anyone like you. You're incredible. And I'm so damn lucky to have you as my friend.

"Joey..." she said, speechless. She couldn't even imagine if neither of them had auditioned for the show. He was the best thing ever to have come into her life.

He glanced down at his watch. "We should really get going." He stood, taking her hand to pull her up from her seat, and they walked down to the theatre.

They weren't the last ones there, but people were already starting warm ups, so Joey and Lauren went to put their stuff in the dressing room before joining the group. Showtime came around quickly, and Lauren and Joey were stood side by side in costume, waiting in the wings to go on.

"I can't wait to watch you blow everyone away," Joey whispered to her.

"I'll have nothing on you," she whispered back.

They simultaneously reached out and clasped hands, squeezing before Lauren had to go on stage and forget about Joey's eyes which she knew would be on her.

The show couldn't have been going more smoothly for an opening night. Joey caught Lauren's eye as they were left alone on stage for their scene together and she had to fight down a smile.

"Lady Beatrice, have you wept all this while?"

"Yea, and I will weep a while longer."

"Surely I do believe your fair cousin is wronged."

"Ah, how much might the man deserve of me that would right her!"

"Is there any way to show such friendship?"

Lauren had performed this scene with him countless times, but watching him do it in front of an audience she was awed by him all over again.

"A very even way, but no such friend."