09 • pls read my story, thanks

Just from the title, I'm sure you all know what this chapter is going to be about.

Self-advertising.

I'm not going to lie, I actually did this before. Ya know, looking for active profiles and typing in their message board... Some ignore while some reply 'i'll read your book in my free time' but it never happens.

Well, that's depressing.

Here's a tip, writer to writer. You need to STOP, just like I did.

Why, you ask?

First things first, doing this will only lower their expectations of your book.

People that read your book should be the ones that come naturally because it'll mean that they are really interested in it. If you promote your book everywhere then it'll also lose its own purpose.

If you do that, your readers will be the ones who only checked out your book because you oh-so-proudly advertised it in their message board. They'll think of you as a charity case.

Oh and another thing: IT'S ANNOYING.

Let's say you're reading a book that you're really interested in, then you slide to the next chapter and BOOM! An ad pops out. It's the same concept.

I don't know if it's just me, but the more times I watch the same ad, the less I become interested in it. And the more times you advertise your book, the less genuine readers you'll get.

While we're on the topic, I also want to include another thing that I had noticed.

Voting your own chapters. OKAY WAIT, I did this too so you don't need to get embarrassed or something.

I just noticed this recently, but it's actually not advisable AT ALL. I swear.

Every once in a while, I've seen popular authors voting on their own books in my news feed. And you know, I just cringe (no hate here). Am I the only one who feels that way?

If you do that, it'll make your followers think: 'God she is such a narcissist. and very desperate at that.'

I mean, I get it. You're proud of your work, you worked hard for it. I felt the same way. BUT

Reality check: It's not good for your image.

Come on, it's just ONE vote. ONE.

Don't click that star button.

I know a lot of people who like their own Instagram posts / reacts on their own memes on Facebook.

Don't be like them. I've learned from my mistake, you should too.