Chasing Echoes : Chapter Of Eli

Feedback of any kind is much appreciated =D

Copyright © L Mollon 2010

                                                    *******************************************

Prologue

As I closely surveyed the reflection in the mirror, my mousy brown hair fell lifelessly past my shoulders in unorganised loose curls, my face was narrow and oddly heart shaped, although I did like the natural tanned glow that I seemed to have, my appearance left a lot to be desired. I examined the colour of my eyes, they were piercingly bright, a kind of icy blue colour that had the smallest hint of green.

I feel so bland.

I wondered whether my biological mother had the same colour eyes. Something I would never know.

I can’t remember the time before I was adopted. I cant remember having any siblings or my biological parents, not even a flicker of a memory. To be fair, I was only a baby, but I had a remarkably clear memory.

The odd adoption agency woman told me it was usual not to remember much, that lots of children came from bad backgrounds and so I was lucky to not remember it. It had never felt like I had been mistreated, it was more confusion of not knowing. 

I had  grown up in an orphanage, a place called Hope Mount children’s community. Whilst I was at Hope Mount I never really made friends, it was such a small establishment, anyone I seemed to get close to was adopted or fostered and left me. 

Lately I’d began to consider what I would do if I was going to be in this kids home till I turned 18, college and university didn’t look like choices. I wanted to do so much, I dreamed of being an artist, but wanted something that was more stable and long-term. There wasn’t much chance of being a doctor or lawyer, I would probably end up working in some dodgy take-away, just to make rent. So far I had been in care 13 years, it made me who I was.

But I didn’t really want to think about this now, I had other pressing matters, I was meeting another prospective set of parents.

When I met Sue and Alan Mason, I was thirteen, they were a couple from a town a few miles away. I was sat in the fun room and had been told by Maisie, the social worker, to dress nice for the people who wanted to meet me. I wore my red and white striped top even though it had a small rip on the wrist, I’d be sure to hide this when they came in, I didn’t want them thinking bad of me. I put on my dungarees too, they were so comfy, at least I would be conformable in that sense when this strange new couple came to meet me. I’d got them washed especially and even asked one of the carers to iron them for me, so I looked better and felt slightly more normal. 

When the large heavy dark wooden door slammed shut, it caught the breeze and the door to the communal fun room, where I sat, drafted open ever so slightly. A blue piece of paper floated towards me, I watched as it drifted slowly towards the bright red carpet.

 As the couple walked through the door I had examined them closely, the man was tall and very thin, his face was long and slim and he had massive brown welcoming eyes and a huge smile. He had chocolate brown hair that was wild with curls, he looked like a mad scientist. I then went on to look at the short heavy-set woman, her dark mahogany brown hair was slicked back in a neat plait, her face was also painted with a huge not-so-genuine smile as the man. Her eyes showed no real flash of colour, they seemed to be almost grey and lifeless. Both of the couple were obviously dressed up as much as I had, the man wore a seemingly expensive navy blue suit with a bright red tie and black shiny shoes. The woman was dressed in a black summer dress, with a grey throw strewn across her shoulders, and matching black shiny summer sandals. I observed the couple as they spoke in soft whisper to Maisie, so quiet that I strained to hear the hushed questions.