1

biana vacker knew life had a sense of humor when it made her a vanisher.

appearance had always had a huge part in biana's life. she was a vacker, so all eyes were on her. when most people saw her, they thought she was beautiful. but that was it. that was all, & that was her. the pretty vacker girl. people looked at her, but they didn't see her. she felt invisible, in the most visible way possible.

but she had had it pounded into her brain that there was no reason to worry. the elvin world was perfect, she knew. she was beautiful for a reason. so she became 'princess prettypants'. people worshipped her, or they hated her. no one really liked her, though.

when fitz vacker brought sophie foster back from the forbidden cities, biana could feel her carefully constructed life unravel. because sophie was pretty. beautiful, actually. maybe even more beautiful than biana, with those strange, gorgeous gold-flecked brown eyes. she was special, & biana was afraid she would take her place as the queen of foxfire.

well, that's what everyone was meant to think. really, biana was just afraid she was falling in love with her.

alden vacker always said there was no reason to worry, but being a girl who loved girls was a reason to worry. it always had been, & she was sure it always would be. so she had to hide. but how could a vacker, who had everyone's eyes on her, hide?

well. she could be a bitch.

she could be mean to sophie.

she could pretend it was because sophie liked fitz.

she could blend in & become what everyone thought she was already.

she could befriend sophie, because she was told she had to.

she could try so hard to keep hating her.

she could fail. they could be friends. she could think maybe, maybe this can work.

she could. she could.

biana manifested as a vanisher, & she felt acutely that being the pretty, flickering accesory was all she would amount to. it was okay, though. at least she was good at something.

she went to exillium & met linh song, & she realized that what she had felt for sophie hadn't been love at all, it had been a puppy dog crush.

she fought vespera, & her scars became proof she was more than the pretty vacker girl. she was strong, stronger than even she knew.

she befriended linh, & they could be friends, & she thought maybe, maybe this could work.

sophie dated her brother, & it didn't hurt in the slightest anymore.

linh's brother tam song was forced to join the neverseen, & biana was the one who told linh every day that her brother was proud of her strength, that he would be okay. she gave linh her shoulder, & linh cried on it.

tam came back from the neverseen, changed. linh worried about him, but she didn't tell biana. biana didn't think she told anyone. but then keefe sencen tried to help tam, & they fell in love. biana admired their courage. she knew some people scorned them, but they didn't care.

she thought maybe, maybe this was normal. maybe loving someone you were told you shouldn't love was okay. she started thinking about that a lot.

now that tam was often busy with his boyfriend, linh had more free time. time she began to spend more & more with biana.

linh stuttered a lot. she blushed, & she babbled. she was adorable. & biana was starting to think that maybe, just maybe, linh actually liked her back.

for a long time, biana had felt invisible. but recently, it seemed as if she had been coming into focus.